Meet the GWCS Class of 2018!
2017-2018 GWCS COLLEGE APPLICATION APPLICATION PROCESS FAQ
Q: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR COLLEGE APPLICATIONS AT GWCS?
A: The college application process is something parents and children should work on together. You and your child are responsible for making sure that applications are filled out correctly, and that requests for transcripts, recommendations, and any other required forms are communicated clearly to the school and to teachers in a timely manner.
You and your child are responsible for attending a GWCS College Conference to discuss your college search process in the summer (for those applying early decision) or in the fall of senior year. At the conference you will be providing us with a number of different documents such as SAT/ACT scores, list of teacher recommenders, list of colleges interested in applying to, a completed senior self-evaluation and parent perspective form. This information is requested to make sure that we can best assist you in completing applications or working towards other post-high school options.
We are happy to work with you to answer any questions you may have.
Q: I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE SENIOR Personal essAY unIT, THE COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS AT GWCS OR THE COLLEGE SEARCH PROCESS. TO WHOM SHOULD I DIRECT IT?
A: Daniel Pereira. Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY CHILD’S TRANSCRIPT, CREDIT, OR DIPLOMA. TO WHOM SHOULD I DIRECT IT?
A: Cassie Sinichko. Call the school or email: email@example.com
Q: WHAT IS THE Personal Essay UNIT?
A: The Personal Essay Unit is a six-week program for juniors and seniors at the beginning of the year which uses the college application process as a framework for teaching practical reading and writing skills. It is an English credit, and seniors who are not planning on applying to college can still benefit from taking it. During this unit, students explore the art of the personal essay, with particular emphasis on good pre-writing practices and the development of a unique voice through effective use of vocabulary, grammar, and idiom. For the seniors, this unit culminates in the Essay Writing Retreat at Lake Anna, during which students will write and complete an authentic, positive personal essay suitable for use for their college applications.
Q: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF MY CHILD REQUESTED RECOMMENDATIONS FROM TEACHERS AND COUNSELORS. HOW CAN I FIND THIS INFORMATION?
A: Contact the teacher or counselor directly via email. Spam filters often divert recommendation requests from websites to our junk mail folders. For this reason, it is an excellent idea to check in with your recommenders from time to time - weeks before the application deadline has passed.
Q: IS THERE ANYTHING WE SHOULD PROVIDE TEACHERS TO ASSIST IN WRITING LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATIONS?
A: Teachers will have access to transcripts. Any additional information you can provide helps teachers to address strengths and interests that are not necessarily school related. We require students and parents complete the senior self-evaluation and parental perspective form prior to our college meetings.
Q: Who Sends the Transcript?
A: Each senior is assigned a GWCS College Counselor during their College Conference. (The College Counselor is probably not going to be the same teacher who acts as the student's school advisor.) Your GWCS College Counselor is the person who will submit (1) your college recommendation form which is part of the Common App as well as many other college applications. Your College Counselor will also submit (2) your high school transcript. College Counselors should have at least three weeks advanced notice to submit any forms, recommendations or transcript before the application deadline.
Q: How does the College Counselor know where to send transcripts?
A: Common App: Students enter their counselor's email when creating an account on the Common App. This can be done long before the student completes the application therefore, students are advised to set up their Common App account early. Counselors will receive an email from Common App when a student enters their email into the system, but, unfortunately, these emails often end up in the counselor's spam folder. Therefore, students must follow up with their counselor to make sure the email was received.
A: Not Common App: Colleges that do not use the Common App each have their own submission process: Mail, Email, Fax, or their own application program. Students must pay close attention to the details on the college websites and applications to know exactly what they need to do. The safest policy is for the student to provide their GWCS College Counselor addressed/stamped envelopes for all colleges that do not use the Common App - do this for first quarter, mid-year and final transcripts.
Q: ARE THERE ANY DATES WE SHOULD KEEP IN MIND?
A: Students should complete applications well in advance of the due date. Each college has their own process, and many of these processes are confusing. By getting applications finished early (at least three weeks in advance of deadline), students insure that there’s enough time to work out any challenges relating to the application process.
College application deadlines are all different but most do fall into the following time frames: Early November, early December, early January or rolling admission. In addition to the application deadline, it's important to remember weekends and holidays! They increase how much time GWCS will need to get transcripts and recommendations out. Some dates to watch out for:
- August 24, September 20 and September 26, 2017: These days are set aside for mandatory college conferences with senior students and their parents/guardians to discuss the college application process and make sure families and the school are on the same page.
- November 1st college application deadlines: Students should complete their application in early October and designate counselor and teacher recommenders on their application at that time. Students will complete their essay on the GWCS Senior Essay Writing Retreat in October.
- November 15th: On this date, Mandatory College Info Forms will be “locked down.” Any further changes that need to be made to this document should be communicated to Mrs. Sinichko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 1st college application deadlines: GWCS Thanksgiving break begins on November 22, 2017 and we do not return until November 27th, so applications should be submitted around November 3rd.
- January 1st deadlines: GWCS goes on winter break on December 15, 2017 and we do not return until January 2, 2018, so applications should be submitted before November 24th.
Q: DO COLLEGES WANT MIDYEAR TRANSCRIPTS AND EVALUATIONS?
A: Yes, some colleges will request an updated transcript and counselor evaluation at the end of first semester. It is important for students to inform their counselor which colleges want midyear updates. What is the midyear update process for your colleges?
- Common App - Students need to ask their counselor to upload their midyear transcript and the midyear counselor evaluation.
- Email - Some colleges will email applicants and tell them to ask their school to send their midyear transcript. They may want it (1) sent via their own admissions program, or (2) emailed to an admissions email address, or (3) mailed paper copies. Student needs to explain specifically what is needed to their counselor.
- Mail - Students may need to print out a midyear evaluation from the college website and provide it to their counselor at the time of requesting midyear transcripts. Student should also supply their counselor with an addressed stamped envelope and due date.
Q: How do I know if the colleges have received everything they need for applications to be complete?
A: Ask. If you have not received any kind of confirmation, call the college admissions office and ask. Be very aware of your deadlines and make the necessary phone calls at least a week before the application deadline!
SAT / ACT FAQ
Q: How do I register for the SATs?
A: GWCS does not register students for the SATs or ACTs. You may register online or via postal mail registration. To register online go to the College Board website. (Allow 40 minutes to register. and have credit card available to pay.)
Q: How do I register for the ACTs?
A: You may register for the ACTs online only by going to the ACT website. (Allow 40 minutes and have credit card available to pay.)
Q: When should I take the SATs / ACTs?
A: Spring of junior year.
Q: How many times should I take the SATs or ACTs?
A: You may take them as many times as you like. We recommend taking the SATs or ACTs as few times as necessary to get a score that accurately reflects a student's capabilities.
Q: When are the SATs and ACTs offered?
Q: Where should I take the SATs / ACTs?
- SATs: GWCS does proctor the SATs for five of the seven available test dates. Because we are a small test center, registration for GWCS fills up quickly. If you do not see GWCS as a choice that means we are already full or it is a month when we do not offer the SATs. Refer to the online GWCS calendar to confirm whether or not we proctor SATs on the date you are interested.
Q: How do I apply for accommodations?
A: If you have a documented disability, you may be eligible for accommodations from College Board or ACT. Click on the links below to learn more about the process. Mr. Mallonee, GWCS Dean of Students, is our SSD Coordinator and he is available to assist you in the accommodations application process. Allow at least seven weeks for accommodations approval.
SENIOR COLLEGE FORMS & INFORMATION
Senior Self-EvaluatioN FORM (2017-2018)
Seniors: Download this document by clicking the link above; answer the questions; save it to your computer and print multiple copies for your GWCS college counselor and any teachers you have asked to write you a letter of recommendation. Bring a copy to your October GWCS College Conference.
PARENT PERSPECTIVE FORM (2017-2018)
Parents: Download this document by clicking the link above; answer the question; save it to your computer and print multiple copies for your child's GWCS college counselor and any teachers they have asked to write them a letter of recommendation. Bring a copy to your October GWCS College Conference.
mandatory college info FORM (2017-2018)
All GWCS seniors receive an email with a link to their individual electronic college info form at the start of the school year. We highly recommend that you bookmark your college info form so that you can easily find and update it as needed. Seniors and their parents can also access their Mandatory College Info Form via CoyoteWeb.
This calendar provides families with general guidelines on steps to take (beginning junior year) to prepare for the college application process.
COLLEGE INFO & APPLICATION LINKS
- Register for SATs & SAT Subject exams
- Get your test results
- Explore colleges, careers and financial aid
- Register for ACT
- Get your test results
- Explore colleges, careers and financial aid
- Create an account
- Submit applications
- Check application status
- Explore best online colleges for 2016-2017
- Explore online colleges by STATE
- Explore online colleges by MAJOR
LOCAL COLLEGE FAIRS (2017-2018)
LOCAL GAP YEAR FAIRS (2017-2018)
GWCS GRADUATION FORMS & INFORMATION Class of 2018
Click on links below:
important graduation dates:
- March 12: Seniors measured for cap and gown
- March 15: Order your Graduation Announcements by this date
- April 28: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS
- May 1: Graduation announcements should be mailed by this date
- May 8: Cap sizing and decorating during school day
- May 17: Talley your total number of guests and submit graduation fee
- May 17: Quilt Giver - seniors ask underclassmen and add to Quilt Giver list in cafe
- June 11: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 11: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 14: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 16: Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
2018 GWCS GRADUATION
George Washington Masonic National Memorial
101 Callahan Drive, Alexandria, VA 22301 (MAP)
Saturday, June 16, 2018
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Graduation Ceremony followed by Reception
Tickets Required for Admittance
- Seniors arrive by 11:00 am (info - pg 4)
- Quilt Givers arrive by 12:30 pm (info)
- Student Volunteers (as scheduled)
GWCS CLASS OF 2018
Last Updated: June 10, 2018
- Albright College, PA
- Alfred University, NY
- Cabrini University, PA
- Christopher Newport University, VA
- Clark University, MA
- George Mason University, VA*
- George Mason University Honors College, VA
- Goucher College, PA
- Guilford College, NC
- Hollins University, VA*
- Juniata College, PA*
- Lawrence University, WI
- Lynchburg College, VA
- McDaniel College, MD
- Randolph College, VA
- Randolph-Macon College, VA
- Rochester Institute of Technology, NY*
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, IA
- Salisbury University, MD
- University of Mary Washington, VA*
- University of North Carolina - Asheville, NC
- University of Vermont, VT
- Virginia Commonwealth University, VA
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, VA
- Warren Wilson College, NC*
- West Virginia Weslyan University, WV*
- Wheaton College, MA
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA*