STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The student of the week is LIZZIE WEBER for demonstrating the GWCS value of RESPONSIBILITY!
Lizzie comes to class with an ‘air of readiness’ every day. She completes out-of-class assignments and often does supplemental reading to be prepared for daily discussions. Lizzie does not let things, ‘slip through the cracks.’ All of her efforts are honed and cultivated.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2016
- Riverbend Watershed Cleanup - Community service event with Ms. Warden from 9:00 am - 11:30 am (see details below)
- Junior Gettysburg Trip Returns to GWCS at approximately 4:30 pm
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2016
- College Fair at Fair Oaks Mall from 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm (info)
MONDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2016
- SGA Lettuce Day - Competition to see who can eat a head of lettuce the fastest, during lunch. Signup on the whiteboard in the cafe!
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Hildago
- Staff Meeting from 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
- Flag Football Game with Mr. Fedinatz - GWCS vs. Kingsbury (tentative) at 4:00 pm (map)
- College Info Night at Hayfield Secondary School from 7-9pm (map)
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2016
- Bubble Party during Workaround for all students taking PSATs
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2016
- Senior Essay Writing Retreat Departs at 8:00 am
- PSATs begin promptly at 8:00 am
- Soccer Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2016
- The Great SouthEastShakeout - Earth Quake Drill at 10:20 am (info)
- Seniors away at Essay Writing Retreat
- Recycling with Mr. Ginsberg from 1:45 pm - 3:15 pm
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Anime Club with Ciara O'Brien from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2016
- Seniors return from Essay Writing Retreat at approximately 12:00 pm
- Improv / Theatre with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
THE ANNUAL FUND FOR THE GW COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IS NOW OPEN!
The Annual Fund at GWCS has been active for over three years, with all money raised going to fund scholarships for current or prospective GWCS students. The GW Community Foundation was established in 2014 by a group of parents who saw a need to support scholarships at the school. Many of the parents had transformational experiences with their own children at the school and wanted to make sure that this opportunity was available to other students. The Foundation has given out three scholarships since it's initial start, and plans on giving out many more!
Donations can be made via online at the foundation website: www.gwcommunityfoundation.com. Click on the "Support Us". You can also make a donation by check made out to GW Community School Foundation.
If you have any questions about the Annual Fund, please contact:
GWCS Fundraising Chair
Please consider making a donation of any size to our annual fund! We are aiming, as always, for 100% participation. Donations made to the GW Community Foundation are tax deductible.
Thank you for your support!
COYOTE PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
PAC #1 - WATERSHED CLEANUP
COMMUNITY SERVICE EVENT
Saturday, October 15, 2015
9:00 am - 11:30 am
8:45 am - Meet Ms. Warden at the Visitors Center
Help keep our waters clean, collect trash from streams and trails. Compile and report results.
Earn 2.5 hours of community service. If your parent(s) or sibling(s) join you will receive an additional hour of community service.
Please wear long sleeves and boots. Gloves are recommended. Be prepared to get messy!
RIVERBEND PARK with Ms. Warden
8700 Potomac Hills Street, Great Falls, VA (map)
PAC #2 - COMPLETE THE CIRCLE & foodraiser
Community Service Event
Sunday, november 6
Join Britepaths (formerly Our Daily Bread) and Lorton Community Action Center (LCAC) for Complete the Circle FOODraiser on Sunday, November 6 from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm at South County Middle School. We will be participants in the creating a meaningful 'Art for the Sky' photo that is encircled with your generous food donations, and enjoy a family fun festival. Complete the Circle is an inspirational community event and volunteer service project to raise awareness and take a stand against hunger and need in the Fairfax County area. The image (at right) speaks to our goal of empowering our neighbors who are struggling to move from a place of need to financial self-sufficiency. (Click Here for a re-cap and photos from GWCS participation in this event last year.)
HOW TO SIGN-UP:
Xavier has already created a Team which means you do not need to register on the 'Complete the Circle' website, instead:
- Sign your name on the awesome poster Xavier made located in the cafe
- Pay $5.00 cash (per participant) and give to Ms. Mauney (FYI - the $5.00 admissions includes a cool t-shirt if you sign-up early!)
- Include a note that says 'Complete the Circle' and list the names of participants
- Consider donating grocery gift cards as well! Britepaths will give these directly to families in need. Donation box located on Ms. Mauney's desk.
The event is also a family fun festival! Attendees will enjoy live music by School of Rock Vienna, balloon art by Daisy the Clown, games and kids activities by Junior League of Northern Virginia, face painting, snacks from Cox Farms and more!
GWCS will be having a food drive for this event starting October 24 - November 3. More details to follow! This will be a friendly competition between advisories.,
*This event is being sponsored by a GWCS family and is considered an unofficial GWCS community service event. Participation counts towards community service hours if this GWCS Community Service form is completed and turned in to Ms. Mauney.
PAC #3 - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
GWCS is very fortunate to have a strong family-volunteer base whose commitment makes many GWCS programs possible. This base really makes a huge difference in our small, tight-knit community. Thank you to all of the parents who completed the PAC Volunteer Form during Back-to-School Night! We have a strong list of volunteers to get the school year started but still need more volunteers. Please consider how you can help.
PAC #4 - APPLE BOWL
(SIGN-UP SLOTS AVAILABLE THRU THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR)
Apple Donations Needed for the Student Lounge Apple Bowl: Parents are invited to help keep the apple bowl in the cafe full of apples for the students to munch on during the day. If you're interested in contributing, please click here to signup to donate a bag of apples. (Sign-Up Genius will send an automatic reminder to your email two days prior to your donation date. So, go ahead and sign-up for dates later in the year!)
When you, or your child brings your apples to school - put them in the blue bowl in the sofa area. If the bowl is full, put them in the designated "apple drawer" in the refrigerator.
Linda Campbell, PAC Volunteer Chair
OCTOBER 27, 2016
- What: Pumpkin Carving & Contest
- Date: October 27, 2016
- Time: 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Where: Science Lab
- Cost: $5 per pumpkin (purchased by SGA)
- Sign-up & Pay: By October 25, 2016
OCTOBER 31, 2016
- 8:00 am - NO GYM, come to school dressed in your costume! Classes begin at 8am.
- 2:15 pm - 3:15 pm: Halloween Party and Costume Contest
- 3:15 pm - 7:15 pm: Scary Movie Marathon
Refer to GWCS online calendar for details.
GWCS Basketball online calendar
Oct 24-Nov 3: FOODraiser
Oct 25: Pumpkin Cash Due to SGA
Oct 26: Staunton Shakespeare Permission Forms Due
Oct 27: Flag Football Game @ Chelsea
Oct 27: Pumpkin Carving
Oct 28-30: Staunton Shakespeare Fall Trip
Oct 31: NO GYM! SGA Halloween Party
Oct 31: Scary Movie Marathon
Nov 3: Underclassmen Photos by Lifetouch
Nov 4: Last Day of 1st Quarter
Nov 6: Complete the Circle
Nov 7: No School - Student Holiday
Nov 8: No School - Election Day
Nov 8: GWCS Election Party
Nov 9: Senior Portraits by Lifetouch
Nov 9: School Beautification Community Service
Nov 9: PAC Parent Meeting
Nov 10: Balfour Class Rings
Nov 14-18: School Spirit Week
Nov 18: Homecoming Basketball Game & Party
Nov 19: Robotics Meet the Field at VCU
Nov 22: Heritage Feast
Nov 23-25: No School - Thanksgiving Break
Nov 29: Boys JV Basketball Game
Nov 30: Girls Varsity Basketball Game
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign-up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group