STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The student of the week is KYLAN GRESENZ for demonstrating the GWCS value of EXCELLENCE.
Kylan has given it all to GWCS this week. He arrives at the gym early every day and works harder than everyone else in the gym. Kylan is the leader of the flag football team. He took our team to Chelsea and brought us back from a 20 point deficit. Kylan also brings this intensity and excellence to the classroom where he is a thoughtful, insightful participator.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2016
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS by Ms. Newton from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
MONDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2016
- No School: Rosh Hashanah
TUESDAY, october 4, 2016
- No School: Rosh Hashanah
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2016
- Theatre Auditions with Mr. Goldie & Brian Conner from 2:40 pm - 3:15 pm
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Soccer Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2016
- Senior/Parent College Conferences - All Day (see below)
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Anime Club with Ciara O'Brien from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, october 7, 2016
- Senior/Parent College Conferences - All Day (see below)
- No School: Student Holiday
- Hike the AT with Dr. G and Ms. Newton (see below)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2016
- Walk for Paws: Community Service event with Mr. Connelly from 7:30 am - 10:30 am (info)
GWCS COLLEGE CONFERENCES...
Thursday, October 6th &
Friday, October 7th
All GWCS seniors and their parents have signed up for a 20 minute college conference with Ms. Warden and Mr. Pereira on either Thursday, October 6, 2016 or Friday, October 7, 2016. If you do not remember your conference time - Click Here.
BRING WITH YOU TO YOUR CONFERENCE:
- SAT or ACT scores (or send email explaining you don't have/need scores)
- A list of at least five schools to which your child will apply, or which you are interested in learning more about.
- The names of two or three teachers who your child plans to ask for a recommendation.
- A completed Student Self-Evaluation form [Click Here].
- A completed Parent Perspective form [Click Here].
- Your child (this meeting is for them too).
TIP: To maximize the value of your time, send Mr. Pereira the first four items listed above a few days before your conference. email@example.com
THE PURPOSE OF GWCS COLLEGE CONFERENCES:
- To determine where you are at in the college application process
- To review GWCS' role in the college process and explain forms
- To go over family responsibilities in the college process
- To learn about the College Essay Writing Retreat to Lake Anna (Oct 19-21)
Check out the GWCS Seniors webpage right HERE!
COME HIKE SKY MEADOWS...
Dr. Garon and Ms. Newton will lead the first trip of the newly established GWCS Hiking Club on Friday October 7. The destination is Sky Meadows State Park where will do a 5-mile circuit hike upwards from the Visitor's Center to the Appalachian Trail (AT), along the AT through some high meadows, and return downhill to the Visitor's Center. It's a beautiful hike that will take approximately 2.5 hours to complete. Note that roughly 1/3 of the hike is uphill.
Depart GWCS at 11:00 am (plan to arrive at school by 10:45 am) and return by 4:00 pm. In the event of rain, the hike will be cancelled (let's hope that doesn't happen).
If you are interested in participating, follow the steps below to sign up. Note that we can only accommodate 15 students, so the first to commit by email and complete the registration process get to go.
- Send me an email by no later than lunchtime on Thursday October 6 (preferably sooner). Please make sure you send it only to me and not the entire school community.
- Obtain and have your parents/guardians complete a permission form. I must have a signed permission form for you to participate.
what to bring:
- Appropriate footwear: hiking boots are not necessary, but you need to wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes (no sandals, flip-flops, or slippers). You will need to wear socks with your shoes. You don't want blisters (trust me).
- Lunch: you will appreciate having food to eat along the way.
- Water: in a plastic water bottle (no glass, no cans).
- A small backpack to hold your lunch, water, and possibly an additional layer of clothing.
- A positive attitude.
We will pack out all trash. If you can carry it in, you must carry it out.
Come speak with me if you have any questions about the hike. I've done it many times, and it has always been enjoyable and restorative. See you on the AT!
WALK FOR PAWS...
Community Service Event
Saturday, October 8, 2016
7:30 am - 10:30 am
Burke Lake Park
GWCS will once again be participating in the 5K Walk for Paws at Burke Lake Park on Saturday, October 8th. Join Mr. Connelly and sign-up today to earn community service hours! (Student participant receives three hours of community service credit plus one hour for each family member or friend he or she drags along!) Meet Mr. Connelly at Burke Lake at 7:30 am (follow the signs for the Paws picnic shelter).
GWCS SCHOOL SPIRIT WEAR...
Want to show your school spirit around town? Now is your chance to place an order for GWCS garb such as t-shirt, sweatshirt, flannel pants, beanie or a personalized gym bag! Place your order by Friday, November 4, 2016.
COYOTE PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
PAC #1 - VolunteerS NEEDED
GWCS is very fortunate to have a strong family-volunteer base whose commitment makes many GWCS programs possible. This base really makes a huge difference in our small, tight-knit community. Thank you to all of the parents who completed the PAC Volunteer Form during Back-to-School Night! We have a strong list of volunteers to get the school year started but still need more volunteers. Please consider how you can help.
We are currently in search of a parent with a pickup truck who would be willing to arrive at school during sixth period (1:45 pm - 2:30 pm) one day a week to assist us with recycling. If anyone is able to help fill this request please email Ms. Warden at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
PAC #2 - APPLE BOWL
(sign-up slots AVAILABLE THRU THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR)
Apple Donations Needed for the Student Lounge Apple Bowl: Yes, the apple bowl tradition continues! Parents are invited to help keep the apple bowl full of apples for the students to munch on during the day. If you're interested in contributing, please click here to signup to donate a bag of apples. When you, or your child brings your apples to school - put them in the blue bowl in the sofa area. If the bowl is full, put them in the designated "apple drawer" in the refrigerator.
Linda Campbell, PAC Volunteer Chair
Refer to GWCS online calendar for details.
Oct 10: No School - Columbus Day
Oct 11: Flag Football Game @ Kingsbury
Oct 12: No School - Yom Kippur
Oct 13: School Beautification Community Service
Oct 13: PAC Parents' Meeting
Oct 14 & 15: Junior Gettysburg Trip
Oct 15: Accotink Watershed Cleanup
Oct 16: FCPS College Fair
Oct 17: SGA LETTUCE Day!
Oct 17: FCPS College Info Night
Oct 18: Flag Football Game @ Basis
Oct 19-21: Senior Essay Writing Retreat
Oct 28-30: Staunton Shakespeare Fall Trip
Oct 31: SGA Halloween Party
Nov 3: Underclassmen Photos by Lifetouch
Nov 4: Last Day of 1st Quarter
Nov 7: No School - Student Holiday
Nov 8: No School - Election Day
Nov 8: GWCS Election Party
Nov 9: Senior Portraits by Lifetouch
Nov 9: School Beautification Community Service
Nov 9: PAC Parent Meeting
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign-up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCSCurrent Families Group