NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Auction Item: Craft Beer & Hard Cider Tasting from 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm (info)
MONDAY, MAY 8, 2017
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: The Express
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
TUESDAY, MAY 9, 2017
- AP Calculus Exam from 8:00 am - 11:00 pm (info)
- Sophomore Student-Parent Conferences with Ms. Warden (info)
- Fantasy Baseball Club Meeting in Mr.Fedinatz's classroom from 2:40 pm- 3:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Glory Road
WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 2017
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Softball Game: GWCS vs. Siena - Away - from 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm (map)
THURSDAY, MAY 11, 2017
- Add/Drop Deadline for 4th Quarter!
- GSA Meeting during lunch with Anne & Mr. Pereira - all are welcome!
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, MAY 12, 2017
- OBX - Q?rius Lab for all freshmen & sophomores from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm (no gym)
- Spring Co-Ops for all juniors and seniors
GWCS Coffeehouse Excerpt...
Coffeehouse, on Thursday, April 27th, was a huge success and oh, so much fun! Watch for a news blurb in the future, for now... enjoy the highlight of Dr. G. performing his tribute to GWCS:
HELP - WE NEED COFFEEHOUSE PHOTOS! If anyone in the audience took photos - please, please, please email a few to firstname.lastname@example.org (Attach as large files, may need to send multiple emails.) Thank you for your help!
COLLEGEBOARD AP EXAMS...
remaining AP EXAMS BEING PROCTORED AT GWCS:
Tuesday, May 9th at 8:00 am
AP Calculus AB
Thursday, May 18th at 8:00 am
AP Computer Science Principles (Extended Time)
MORNING TESTING TIME: 8:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Students meet in the café at 8:00 am. Testing rooms will be announced in the morning. Allow for traffic, arrive early and be ready to begin exam. Students are not allowed late entry.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE TEST:
- Bring sharpened #2 pencils with good erasers, and a dark blue or black pen.
- Do NOT bring phones to the testing room.
- Do NOT bring computers to the testing room unless you are a student with a computer accommodation.
- Food and drinks may be eaten during breaks but not in the testing room.
AP STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO KNOW ABOUT...
LET'S TAKE A WALK... OR RUN!
GWCS students and families are cordially invited to come and join the Reston 5k Walk for Cystic Fibrosis on Sunday, May 21st at 2:30 pm (check in opens at 1:30 PM) at Brown's Chapel Park. The walk is less than 3 miles and is a lot of fun. After the walk, there is food and hang-out time.
EARN COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS:
This may be the last major community service opportunity of the year and a chance to support a great cause. If you do not have your hours, it is imperative that you go. You will receive three hours for yourself and one additional hour for each friend or family member you bring along.
SENIORS AT THE BEACH CAN WALK:
We realize that May 21st is the first day of the Senior Beach trip, so we will be offering a beach trip CF Walk alternative. You will still have to register on TEAM LEWIS, but can walk at the beach with Ms. Warden in support of finding a cure for Cystic Fibrosis.
Click on the link below and register with TEAM LEWIS
- Go To: http://cffh.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id=6000&pg=entry
- Select: Join a Team
- Search: Team Lewis
- Select: Join
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK...
The GWCS Staff would like to thank all of our wonderful parents and students for the generous gifts, goodies and gobs of love during Teacher Appreciation Week! Extra special thanks to the PAC Faculty Appreciation Chair, Mary Hill, for organizing a week of special stuff on our behalf. We truly appreciated your appreciation.
- Monday - Gas Card with bonus matchbox car (big hit!)
- Tuesday - Delicious Take Home Family Dinners & Flowers
- Wednesday - Amazon Gift Cards
- Thursday - Massage by the magic hands of Jette & Treats from Peet's
- Friday - Thoughtful Thank You Notes from students and parents
GW Community School
The GW Community School Foundation administers a needs-based scholarship program independently of GWCS. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and applicants must already be accepted as students to GW Community School for the 2017-2018 academic year. To apply for a scholarship, please visit the Foundation website at:
The deadline for submitting applications is monday, May 15, 2017.
If you have questions, please contact the Foundation at email@example.com.
GWCS Foundation President & Alumni Parent
RECOMMENDED TALK FOR PARENTS...
Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
$20 Tickets (order here)
NEW ATTENDANCE REPORTING FORM...
Thank you to all the parents who helped us beta test the NEW ONLINE ATTENDANCE FORM. This is a form that you can use to notify the school when your child will be late, leaving early, or absent for the full day. We are now going to be fully implementing this form and ask that parents use this form when your child will be absent. If you don’t have access to this form you can always call the school at 703-978-7208 or email Ms. Mauney, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any attendance information.
Thank you for helping us keep track of your kids!
Where to find the Attendance Form:
By this coming week...
Seniors should have (1) mailed your graduation announcements, (2) started collecting photos for your memory board, (3) jotted down a few ideas for your senior speech and (4) selected an underclassmen to be your quilt-giver.
- May 12: Graduation announcements should be mailed by this date
- May 18th: Graduation RSVP Form & Fee Due! (info)
- May 21-25: Senior Beach Week in Corolla, NC
- May 31: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS
- June 12: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 12: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 15: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 17: Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
want to help? CONTACT:
YOU ARE INVITED...
Dear GWCS Underclassmen Families,
NOM, NOM, NOM, NOM
HELP FILL OUR EMPTY BOWLS & STOMACHS!
Parents! Our snack bowl needs your help. Please donate apples and granola bars so the kids can grab a healthy snack after gym or in between classes. The students really appreciate it, and we see the results in our empty snack bowl. SIGN UP HERE - it's a great way to contribute if you are short on volunteer time. Thank you to parents who have donated so far this year!
The student of the week is ANTHONY LORD for demonstrating the GWCS value of LEARNING.
Anthony's participation and engagement in class have been noted by many of his teachers; for example, in Anatomy and Physiology, Anthony has admitted to being a bit squeamish with blood, broken limbs, dissections, etc in the past and even though you could tell he was sweatin' it a bit, he managed to muster up the perseverance to participate in an optional dissection. It's inspiring to see students try in situations they are unfamiliar with and surpass everyone's expectations!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
May 15: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline for 2017-2018 (info)
May 17: One Act Plays
May 17: Parent Talk: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
May 18: Graduation RSVP and Fee due - Seniors
May 18: Graduation RSVP due - Underclassmen Families
May 18: AP Computer Science Principals Exam - Extended Time Students
May 19: OBX - Old Towne Alexandria Tour
May 21-25: Senior Beach Trip
May 22: Colleges That Change Lives Fair (info)
May 22-25: Spring Thing 1: Chesapeake Bay Field Station & Followup (info)
May 22-25: Spring Thing 2: Improv Acting Intensive Workshop(info)
May 26: OBX - Adventure Link
May 29: No School - Memorial Day
May 30: Softball Game vs. The New School (A)
May 31: Softball Game vs. Chelsea (A)
May 31: Graduation Memory Board Making Party (how to)
June 3: SAT & Subject Tests
June 3: Prom - Indiana Jones (*NEW DATE!*)
June 9: OBX - Canoe Trip
June 10: GSA Capital Pride Parade
June 12 - 16: Final Exams
June 12: Senior Memory Boards Due
June 12: Senior Speeches Due
June 15: Graduation Rehearsal
June 16: Last Day of School - End of Year BBQ
June 17: GWCS Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
ATTENDANCE: GWCS Online Attendance Reporting Form
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN: GWCS Microsoft 365
SENIORS: GWCS Senior College and Graduation Info Webpage
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info (pw=gwcscoyotes)
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group