- Scholarship Deadline 5/15
- Senior Song Survey Due 5/17
- Theatre Performance Night: One Act Play 5/17
- Graduation RSVP & Fee Due 5/18 (all seniors)
- Graduation Invite RSVP Due 5/18 (underclassmen families)
- Cystic Fibrosis Walk 5/21
NEWSLETTER QUICK LINKS:
| Next Week | AP Exams | Cystic Fibrosis 5K Walk | Scholarship | Parent Talk | Attendance Form | Graduation Info | Graduation Volunteers | Graduation Invite | Prom | GSA Car Wash | Apples & Granola Bars | Student of the Week | Sign Up Now | Future Events | Links |
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, MAY 13, 2017
MONDAY, MAY 15, 2017
- GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline (info)
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Hoosiers
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
TUESDAY, MAY 16, 2017
- All Seniors - Beach Week Meeting - MANDATORY FUN meeting with Mr. Pereira from 12:25 pm - 12:49 pm in P's classroom - grab lunch quickly - don't be late!
- Fantasy Baseball Club Meeting in Mr.Fedinatz's classroom from 2:40 pm- 3:15 pm
WEDNESDAY, MAY 17, 2017
- AP US History Makeup Exam from 8:00 am - 11:30 am (info)
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Theatre Performance Night: One Act Play & Music from 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
THURSDAY, MAY 18, 2017
- Graduation Fee and RSVP Due - All Seniors! (info)
- Graduation RSVP Deadline - All Underclassmen (info)
- AP Computer Science Extended Time Exam from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm (info)
- GSA Meeting during lunch with Anne & Mr. Pereira - all are welcome!
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, MAY 19, 2017
- No Gym!
- OBX - Old Town Alexandria Tour for all freshmen & sophomores from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm (no gym)
- Spring Co-Ops for all juniors and seniors
SATURDAY, MAY 20, 2017
- Graduation Quilt Volunteers Pin & Prep with Linda Campbell (info)
SUNDAY, MAY 21, 2017
- Senior Beach Trip departs GWCS for Corolla, NC at 9:00 am
- Cystic Fibrosis 5K Walk with Mr. Connelly from 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm (info)
THE FOLLOWING WEEK...
may 21 - 25
Senior Beach Week - Corolla, NC - All GWCS Seniors!
Spring Thing 1 & Spring Thing 2 - All GWCS Underclassmen!
COLLEGEBOARD AP EXAMS...
REMAINING AP EXAMS BEING PROCTORED AT GWCS:
Wednesday, May 17th at 8:00 am
AP US History Makeup Exam
Thursday, May 18th at 8:00 am
AP Computer Science Principles (Extended Time)
MORNING TESTING TIME:
- Students meet in the café at 8:00 am. Testing rooms will be announced in the morning. Allow for traffic, arrive early and be ready to begin exam. Students are not allowed late entry.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE TEST:
- Bring sharpened #2 pencils with good erasers, and a dark blue or black pen.
- Do NOT bring phones to the testing room.
- Do NOT bring computers to the testing room unless you are a student with a computer accommodation.
- Food and drinks may be eaten during breaks but not in the testing room.
AP STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO KNOW ABOUT...
One Act Play: The Man With a Flower In His Mouth
Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Time: 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Bonus: Musical Performances
Please come out and support Nick and Brian as they have worked tirelessly on memorizing their lines for this play! They really deserve an enthusiastic audience.
LET'S TAKE A WALK... OR RUN!
GWCS students and families are cordially invited to come and join the Reston 5k Walk for Cystic Fibrosis on Sunday, May 21st at 2:30 pm (check in opens at 1:30 PM) at Brown's Chapel Park. The walk is less than 3 miles and is a lot of fun. After the walk, there is food and hang-out time.
EARN COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS:
This may be the last major community service opportunity of the year and a chance to support a great cause. If you do not have your hours, it is imperative that you go. You will receive three hours for yourself and one additional hour for each friend or family member you bring along.
SENIORS AT THE BEACH CAN WALK:
We realize that May 21st is the first day of the Senior Beach trip, so we will be offering a beach trip CF Walk alternative. You will still have to register on TEAM LEWIS, but can walk at the beach with Ms. Warden in support of finding a cure for Cystic Fibrosis.
Click on the link below and register with TEAM LEWIS
- Go To: http://cffh.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id=6000&pg=entry
- Select: Join a Team
- Search: Team Lewis
- Select: Join
GW COMMUNITY SCHOOL
The GW Community School Foundation administers a needs-based scholarship program independently of GWCS. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and applicants must already be accepted as students to GW Community School for the 2017-2018 academic year. To apply for a scholarship, please visit the Foundation website at:
RECOMMENDED TALK FOR PARENTS...
PROTECTING CHILDHOOD AND FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS IN THE DIGITAL AGE
WEDNESDAY, MAY 17, 2017
$20 TICKETS (ORDER HERE)
NEW ATTENDANCE REPORTING FORM...
Thank you to all the parents who have actively been using our new online attendance form! This is a form that you can use to notify the school when your child will be late, leaving early, or absent for the full day.
HOW TO REPORT ATTENDANCE:
- Webpage: There is now an attendance web page on the GWCS website under the "Resources" tab. Or, the URL is easy enough to remember: www.gwcommunityschool.com/attendance
- Bookmark It! We recommend that you click on this link - “attendance form” - and bookmark it NOW.
- Email: Send Ms. Mauney an email at email@example.com
- Call: Leave a message at 703.978.7208
Graduation Information below for Seniors as well as Underclassmen and parents!
#2 - GRADUATION RSVP & FEE...
AND OTHER IMPORTANT DATES...
- May 18th: Graduation RSVP Form & Fee Due! (info)
- May 21-25: Senior Beach Week in Corolla, NC
- May 31: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS
- June 12: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 12: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 15: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 17: Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
#3 - GRADUATION QUILTS...
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO PIN & SEW...
Each year, Ms. Warden personally selects a meaningful fabric print for each graduate's quilt. The print selected is based on the students' interests and personality. Parent volunteers sew the print fabric to a twin size comforter.
Before graduation, the quilts are laid out at school for an autograph party. Students, teachers, staff, and even alumni happen to stop by, sign the back of the quilts (much like you would a yearbook) with fabric markers. The quilts are presented to each graduate at the graduation ceremony by fellow underclassmen. It's a very meaningful GWCS tradition!
Quilt Volunteers will be meeting at 12:00 noon at gwcs on the following saturdays:
Saturday, May 20th
saturday, may 27th
Please send an email to Linda to confirm your meet up date or to sign up to help.
Linda S. Campbell
#4 - GRADUATION VOLUNTEERS...
We are in full swing planning and preparing for this year’s graduation and reception at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria, VA on June 17, 2017, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Food, beverages, flowers and decorations are being ordered, signs and programs are being printed, caps and gowns are being readied, Memory Boards are being made, and volunteers are working to make it a great day for the GWCS community.
Thank you to all our many graduation volunteers! Feel free to contact Cheryl Massey if you have any questions regarding your volunteer job.
If you don’t have a part yet in this fun and memorable event, there’s still a place for you.
PAC Graduation Chair
#5 - ALL ARE INVITED TO GRADUATION...
ALL UNDERCLASSMEN STUDENTS AND PARENTS ARE INVITED TO THE GWCS GRADUATION AND RECEPTION!
Come and enjoy a unique and wonderful afternoon of celebration with the entire GWCS community. ALL ARE INVITED!
RSVP to Laura Mauney (firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-978-7208) by May 18, 2017 to receive a ticket.
Date: Saturday, June 3, 2017
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Who: All GWCS students!
Theme: Indiana Jones
Tickets: For sale at the school store during lunch
- $25 (current price)
- $30 (May 30-June 2)
- $35 (at the door)
Location: Landings Community Center, Burke Centre (map)
Guest: Form for Non-GWCS Students (form)
STRONG, HAPPY, HEALTHY & SATISFIED...
Imagine your child, sitting on a sofa in the GWCS cafe biting into a juicy apple after a good hard workout at the gym. It happens, every day! The apple and granola bars bowls are filled in the morning and are empty by afternoon.
Please sign up to donate apples and granola bars so the kids can grab a healthy snack after gym or in between classes. The students really appreciate it, and we see the results in our empty snack bowl. SIGN UP HERE - it's a great way to contribute if you are short on volunteer time. Thank you to parents who have donated so far this year!
The students of the week are NICK O'NEAL and BRIAN CONNER for demonstrating the GWCS value of INVESTMENT.
As many of you have heard, the spring play turned out to be cursed, resulting in many injuries, instabilities, and indiscretions. After casting and scrapping three different renditions of the first show and one rendition of another show, all was lost. There would be no spring show. Still, they continued to show-up for rehearsal. As it turned out, for Brian and Nick, ‘no spring show’ was not an option. In the end, we selected The Man With A Flower In His Mouth to be our masterpiece. It is a one act play, featuring two characters, intense dialog, and the macabre rantings of a man in distress. This is not an easy piece under any circumstances, but Brian and Nick have been staying late every day to work on their lines and their staging so they can offer the community one more epic bit of theatre before the season closes. Thanks guys, for your diligence, your dedication to your craft, and your perseverance!
Please support Nick & Brian by attending their performance on Wednesday, May 17th from 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
SIGN UP NOW...
May 21-25: Senior Beach Trip
May 22: Colleges That Change Lives Fair (info)
May 22-25: Spring Thing 1: Chesapeake Bay Field Station & Followup (info)
May 22-25: Spring Thing 2: Improv Acting Intensive Workshop (info)
May 26: OBX - Adventure Link
May 27: Graduation Quilt Pin & Sew
May 29: No School - Memorial Day
May 30: Softball Game vs. The New School (A)
May 30: Capsin Challenge
May 30: GWCS Foundation Meeting
May 31: Softball Game vs. Chelsea (A)
May 31: Graduation Memory Board Making Party (how to)
June 3: SAT & Subject Tests
June 3: GSA Car Wash
June 3: Prom - Indiana Jones (*NEW DATE!*)
June 4: Lake Accotink Cardboard Boat Regatta (info)
June 9: OBX - Canoe Trip
June 10: GSA Capital Pride Parade
June 12 - 16: Final Exams
June 12: Senior Memory Boards Due
June 12: Senior Speeches Due
June 15: Graduation Rehearsal
June 16: Last Day of School - End of Year BBQ
June 17: GWCS Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
ATTENDANCE: GWCS Online Attendance Reporting Form
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN: GWCS Microsoft 365
SENIORS: GWCS Senior College and Graduation Info Webpage
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group