MUST READ LINKS:
- Next Week's Schedule
- Basketball Banquet RSVP Deadline 3/6
- Allstar ISSAC Championship Basketball Games 3/6
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower 3/7
- Italy Trip Meeting 3/7
NEWSLETTER QUICK LINKS:
TUESDAY, MARCH 7, 2017
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Italy Trip Meeting with Mr. Torres from 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm in Torres' classroom
Participants should bring color photocopy of passport.
- Perks of Being a Wallflower - GSA sponsored after-school movie from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm (sign up here!)
- Free College Workshop at Herndon Library from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm (sign up)
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 8, 2017
- Actor's Intensive - Spring Thing Interest Meeting with Jack Reda from 11:00 am - 11:30 am
- Newspaper Meeting during lunch in Mr. Pereira's classroom
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
THURSDAY, MARCH 9, 2017
- 100 DAYS UNTIL GRADUATION! (senior info)
- GSA Meeting during lunch with Anne & Mr. Pereira - all are welcome!
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, MARCH 10, 2017
- Improv with Dr. Garon from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Theatre Rehearsal with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm
SATURDAY, MARCH 11, 2017
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm with Ms. Newton
SUNDAY, MARCH 12, 2017
- Daylight Savings begins at 2:00 am! Remember to turn your clocks FORWARD one hour! (why?) Does anyone actually need to do this any more?
THE AUCTION ENDED WITH A BANG...
The PAC Online Auction ended Thursday night at 10 PM. We raised $19,000 for GWCS, hitting our goal! This is the largest amount raised in the past four years. Thank you to all of our parents, faculty alumni and students who contributed to this exciting school fundraiser. We had over 200 items, and over 350 bids! Stay tuned for updates on how and where the money will be spent to support GWCS and our children.
Items won in the auction are available for pick-up on Monday, March 6th after school (from 3:00-4:00 p.m.) If you would like your student to bring your items home (with the exception of alcohol), please send an email granting permission to Deiadre Rauch or with Laura Mauney. Buy-a-Spot Item winners will receive details within a week of the auction.
Any questions, please email Deiadre.
Coyote PAC Fundraising Chair
monday, march 6th!
WHO GOES TO THE BANQUET? This banquet is open to all GWCS basketball players, managers, videographer, photographer, scorekeepers, statisticians, parents, siblings, friends, teachers, coaches and any other fans! Everyone must purchase a ticket in advance.
BANQUET DATE: Thursday, March 16, 2017 (RSVP/Purchase tickets by March 6th!)
LOCATION: PJ Skidoos, 9908 Fairfax Blvd., Fairfax, VA22030 (map)
TIME: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Please send check in to Ms. Mauney by 9:00 am Monday, March 6, 2017.
- Make checks payable to GWCS.
- Indicate in signature line the number of tickets needed.
- Tickets will be sent home with student and GWCS will add your RSVP to this signup genius. Do NOT RSVP here - GWCS will add you to the RSVP list when we issue your tickets!
- Note: If you plan on attending but not eating - that is fine but, we need to know so that enough tables and chairs are set-up. Please email Ms. Mauney for a seat-only request by March 6th.
DINNER: Buffet dinner with a little something for everyone including chicken, pork, pasta (vegetarian), salad, dessert, hot and cold drinks.
ENTERTAINMENT: Coach’s speech, highlight video and varsity awards.
DRESS CODE: Semi-formal
Tremendous thanks to parents for donating apples and granola bars to keep Coyotes energized!
Demand is high and the snacks go quickly. Please consider signing up and dropping off a bag of apples or granola/ cereal bars. When you SIGN UP you'll receive an email reminder to make it super easy.
Coyote PAC Volunteer Chair
GWCS GETS A FACELIFT...
have you noticed:
- New GWCS sign in front of our building.
- New GWCS decals on entrance door (not completely installed yet)
- New GWCS decals on our van.
Special thanks to The Design Office of Ann Marie Ternullo (alumni parent) for creating our new coyote logo (Loki) and for designing our new signage (among other things)!
Community Service Project April 1st...
Help The Nature Conservancy and Fairfax County Park Authority to clean up your watershed on April 1 from 9:00 am - 11:30 am. This spring cleaning will remove tires, plastic bottles, cans and other debris from local waterways, preventing trash from reaching the nation’s largest estuary, the Chesapeake Bay. The volunteer effort provides a healthy checkup for local waterways and Fairfax County and, by recording what you remove, you’ll be helping scientists, ecologists and environmental organizations in their efforts to improve our environment. Snacks, give-a-ways and other free, fun stuff (like historic house tours and educational opportunities) will take place at the work sites.
Two Groups: Ms Warden will lead the Riverbend park Cleanup and Ms Newton will lead the Lake Accotink Cleanup.
Dress: Remember to dress for the weather and wear closed-toe shoes!!
Bring: gloves and water
Any questions please contact:
Coyote PAC Community Service Chair
The student of the week is LIZZIE WEBER for demonstrating the GWCS value of EXCELLENCE.
Usually, when you say the words, “Freshman point guard,” you are explaining to somebody why you failed. In this case, you would be explaining to somebody why you succeeded! Lizzie Weber is the GWCS student of the week for demonstrating the GWCS value of Excellence. The girls basketball team had a great season because they have played well as a team, but no position on the court is more closely connected to success than the point guard. Lizzie has the ball in her control a large percentage of the time. Even when the other team’s point guard has the ball, the ball is in Lizzie’s control. She puts in long hours of practice, works hard on her skills, and leads by example in every game. When you use the words ‘Lizzie Weber,’ and the words, ‘Freshman point guard’ you inevitably end-up using the word, ‘winner!’
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
NATIONAL DAY OF UNPLUGGING...
here are some of our COYOTEs who accepted the chalLENGE to Turn in their cell phone Friday, march 3, 2017 from 9:15 am - 3:15 pm:
Thanks to all the parents who joined us for the PAC Parent Meeting on Wednesday night, March 1st. Ms. Warden led an insightful discussion about prepping our kids for college and/or life beyond high school. It was a great night of sharing, socializing and browsing auction items. We look forward to seeing everyone at the next PAC meeting!
Your Coyote PAC Execs
2017-2018 GWCS ENROLLMENT...
In February, GWCS Enrollment Contracts for the 2017-2018 school year were mailed home to all underclassmen families with a due date of Monday, March 20th. For your convenience, the contents of this mailing are linked below:
Other places you can find this information: Parent Portal Page and Email sent in February.
Now is a good time to go over how to be sick in a public place - such as school! Don't assume your child remembers the tips and tricks you taught them as a toddler. A refresher course with your teenager is definitely worth the time - for his/her health and ours! With our cozy environment at GWCS germs are bound to spread. We are doing our best to sanitize and encourage healthy habits. Your active support from home is appreciated!
Fact: The force of a sneeze can send around 100,000 germs a huge distance – up to 25 feet, according to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Refer to GWCS online calendar for details on all events
- GWCS Basketball online calendar
- 2017-2018 GWCS School Year Holidays Calendar
Mar 13: Coffee House Auditions
Mar 14: Coffee House Auditions
Mar 15: Last Day to Donate to SGA Live Auction
Mar 16: Basketball Banquet
Mar 17: SGA St. Patrick's Day Live Auction
Mar 17-20: Robotics Super Regional Championship (East)
Mar 20: Enrollment Contract for 2017-2018 Due
Mar 20: AP Exam Orders Due
Mar 22: Food Chemistry Field Trip to Jaleo
Mar 23: Coffee House
Mar 24: No School - Student Holiday
Mar 24: Staff Inservice
Mar 29: Northern Virginia Regional College Fair at GMU
Mar 31: Astrophysics NRAO Field Trip
Mar 31: Hexagon
Apr 1: Watershed Cleanup Community Service Event
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN: GWCS Microsoft 365
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group