NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, JUNE 3, 2017
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS by Ms. Newton from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
- GSA Car Wash Fundraiser at Exxon Mobile from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm (info)
- GWCS PROM at the Landings Community Center in Burke from 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm (info)
SUNDAY, JUNE 4, 2017
- Cardboard Boat Regatta at Lake Accotink - Come out and cheer on Dr. Cox's Honors Physics students as they race their cardboard boat in the regatta! Races begin at 11:00 am. This is an annual Honors Physics tradition. Read about the 2015 GWCS team HERE. (regatta info)
MONDAY, JUNE 5, 2017
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm: Searching for Bobby Fischer
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
TUESDAY, JUNE 6, 2017
- Fantasy Baseball with Mr. Fedinatz during Workaround
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Invictus
- Capsaicin Challenge with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm (info)
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7, 2017
- Food Chemistry with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
THURSDAY, June 8, 2017
- GSA Meeting during lunch in Mr. Pereira's classroom from 12:10 pm - 12:50 pm
- Anime Club in Mr. Fedinatz's classroom with Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, JUNE 9, 2017
- No Gym!
- OBX - Canoe Trip & Naturalist at GWCS for all freshmen & sophomores from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm
- Spring Co-Ops for all juniors and seniors
SATURDAY, JUNE 10, 2017
- Quilt Pin & Sew Meetup at GWCS with Linda Campbell beginning at 12:00 pm (info)
THE CAPSAICIN CHALLENGE IS OPEN TO EVERYONE BUT SPACE IS LIMITED TO 15 PARTICIPANTS SO SIGN UP TODAY!
The Date has Been Changed but the Challenge Remains the Same!
Date: Saturday, June 3, 2017
Time: 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Who: All GWCS students!
Theme: Indiana Jones
Tickets: For sale at the school store during lunch (checks payable to GWCS)
- June 12: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 12: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 15: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (graduates & quilt givers will leave from and return to GWCS)
- June 17: Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception at Masonic Temple, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm (map)
TWO WEEKS TO GO, AWESOME VOLUNTEERS!
Thanks to all of you for all you're doing!
Graduation Orders, Supplies, and Services
- All ordering, pre-ordering, and reservations should be completed, and all supplies should be received and ready by Monday, June 5th. Please let Cheryl Massey know if anything will not be received or ready by this date.
- Please make sure that you have checked in with your committee chair by Monday, June 5th to be sure you are clear on what your task entails, where and who you will be working with, and the time to arrive for graduation. (If you are not sure who your committee chair is, please contact Cheryl Massey).
- Please email or hand-deliver all reimbursement request forms and receipts to GWCS care of Julia O’Grady (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for all reimbursement requests is Wednesday, June 21st, but Julia would prefer to get them now, before graduation.
If you don’t have a part yet in this fun and memorable event, there’s still a place for you!
PAC Graduation Chair
QUILT PIN & SEW VOLUNTEER MEETUP...
FINAL MEETUP IS saturday, june 10, 2017 AT 12:00 pm
Quilt prints have been smudged, in photos above, to keep the surprise alive! Seniors do not know what their quilt will look like until they are displayed for signing. The big reveal will be the last week of school!
GRADUATION QUILTS - PIN & SEW VOLUNTEERS:
We've had a wonderful turnout for the Grad Quilt Pin & Sew the past two weekends!
Thirteen parents have joined the fun, including newbies Kathy Mohs and Annette McGee, which means so much joy and love is going into these quilts. Our final meet-up is Saturday, June 10 from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm at GWCS. To join, please contact Linda Campbell at email@example.com.
Thank you to:
Lynn Nice, Annette McGee, Kathy Mohs, Kathy Ginsburg, Christine Conner, Robin Abatzis, Melissa Morgan, Andrea Spiegel, Jan Syers, Anne Quinn, Nancy Burns, Cheryl Corrigan, Peter Campbell, Ethan Campbell, and Rick Goldie.
And a special thank you to 2016 Grad parent Lynn Nice. She gave instructions on top-stitching the fabric and now all are addicted.
Linda S. Campbell
PAC Volunteer Chair
GRADUATION MEMORY BOARDS...
Seniors, reminder that completed Memory Boards are due to Ms. Mauney on Monday, June 12th!
Memory Boards will be proudly featured in a beautiful display for all our guests at graduation to see!
For Seniors in Memory Board panic mode:
Do not despair! There are still two weekends to work on this at home.
Memory Board Crisis Recipe:
- Reminisce and review old photos and memorabilia. Pick out your favorites. Start with the day you were born. Or use a theme that helps people know who you are through pictures.
- Get hard copies of all photos you might use. Pick up trifold board from a craft store or CVS. At a craft store get colored paper, punch out letters, stickers, scrap booking glue dots/glue tape or anything else you might want to use.
- Choose a location and style for your name. It should be prominently displayed. Lay all your photos out and add colored paper mats, stickers or anything else you'd like. If you need to move the board before it's complete, take a photo or use ‘temporary’ glue dots to secure your items.
- When you love it, secure everything with craft tape or glue tape. Use a large plastic bag to store your board, in case anything falls off.
- Deliver to Ms. Mauney on June 12th.
Please contact Melissa Morgan if you have questions, need help or moral support!
Graduation Memory Board Chair
MEMORY BOARD PARTY
Katie, Ben , Sabrina and Julie and her mom made a lot of progress on their Memory Boards while sharing creative ideas and fun stories at the Memory Board Party on May 31st at GWCS!
FINALS WEEK AT GWCS...
MONDAY, JUNE 12 - FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 2017
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (NO GYM)
Please read over the final exam schedule carefully. Know where you need to be on each day, where you should not be, what to bring with you, and how to inform school if you will not be present.
DATE/TIME: Friday, June 16, 2017 from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
SIGN-UP: Click Here to sign up to contribute to the BBQ
TRADITION: It is a GWCS tradition to end the school year with a BBQ! All students, teachers, parents, grandparents and siblings are welcome. Please help by signing up below to send in something for the BBQ.
KEEP IT COOL: We will not have refrigerator space, so if your item needs to stay cool, please send it in a cooler or on ice.
LABEL: Label all containers and/or utensils. PLEASE remember to take containers home after the BBQ!
BRING: A chair or blanket if you'd like something to sit on!
ENTERTAINMENT: Some kind of fun game. Wiffle Ball anyone?
RAIN: In the event of rain, we will still BBQ in front of school and picnic and play games inside but we will have to limit participation to students and staff only.
APPLES AND GRANOLA BARS...
Parents! Let's finish out the school year strong and keep our students energized with apples and granola bars. The bowls are filled in the morning, and our kids devour the snacks by the afternoon. Please SIGN UP HERE to donate apples and granola bars. It's a great and easy way to contribute if you're short on time (especially with Giant around the corner). Thanks to all the parents who have contributed so far this year!
Linda S. Campbell
PAC Volunteer Chair
The Student of the Week this week is SCOTT MORGAN for demonstrating the GWCS value of KINDNESS.
Scott goes out of his way to be kind to others while at the same time finding positive and friendly ways to stand up for what's right. Beyond treating others well, Scott encourages others to do the same, both by his example, and by his willingness to give good advice and wise counsel.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
Refer to GWCS ONLINE CALENDAR for details on all events.
June 12 - 16: Final Exams (schedule)
June 12: Senior Memory Boards Due
June 12: Senior Speeches Due
June 15: Graduation Rehearsal
June 16: Last Day of School
June 16: End of Year BBQ (click here to contribute)
June 17: GWCS Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
2017 Summer Events - Coming Soon!
- SCHOOL EVENTS CALENDAR
- EMAIL & ONE DRIVE LOGIN
- SENIORS - COLLEGE - GRADUATION
- FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS
- PARENT PORTAL (pw=gwcscoyotes)
- PARENTS - COYOTE PAC
- MICROSOFT OFFICE 365
- COYOTE WEB (grades, attendance...)
- STAFF CONTACT INFO
- INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
- FACEBOOK (Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group)