STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The Student of the Week is NICK O'NEAL for demonstrating the GWCS value of KINDNESS.
When was the last time you saw Nick O’Neal when he wasn’t looking out for the best interest of everybody in the room? Never. Nick is omnipresent when it comes to the concerns of others. He can be seen giving-up his turn, his chair, his Pringles and anything else available to make someone else’s daily experience better. I have even seen him offer some of his grade points to classmates who did not do well on an assignment. Nick will give you empathy instead of apathy every time!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2017
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Pride of the Yankees
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Cornerstone (Away) tip off at 3:30 pm (map)
- Staff Meeting at 3:30 pm
TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2017
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Boys Varsity Basketball: GWCS vs. Commonwealth (Home) tip off at 4:00 pm
- PAC All-Parents Meeting at GWCS from 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm (info)
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2017
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- Recycling Collection with Ms. Mauney from 2:40 pm - 3:15 pm
- Boys JV Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Siena (Away) tip off at 6:00 pm (map)
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2017
- GSA Meeting with Anne and Mr. Pereira during lunch in P's classroom - all are welcome!
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz & Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2017
- Robotics - Southwest Virginia Qualifying Tournament in Cedar Bluff, VA departs with Mr. Lindner (info)
- Improv/Theatre Elective with Dr. Garon & Brian from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. The Lab School (Away) tip off at 5:30 pm (map)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. The Lab School (Away) tip off at 7:00 pm (map)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 28, 2017
- Robotics - Southwest Virginia Qualifying Tournament in Cedar Bluff, VA with Mr. Lindner (info)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 2017
- Robotics - Southwest Virginia Qualifying Tournament in Cedar returns with Mr. Lindner (info)
GWCS ONLINE AUCTION IS ALMOST HERE...
FEBRUARY 21 - MARCH 3, 2017
WE NEED YOUR AUCTION ITEMS NOW!
We are soliciting donations now for this year's online auction, which will run from February 21st through March 2nd. Funds raised will support three specific areas: Technology, Student Activities and Professional Development. All money raised from the auction will be spent in 2017, so you will see immediate benefits from your donations and purchases.
Best-selling auction items are "experiences" like vacation houses, cultural dinners, parties for students or parents, cooking lessons, beer tastings, wine parties, Ladies Night Out parties, etc. If you have a contact at a local business, please consider asking them for a donation.
Each year we also have baskets with items donated from our community. We will be collecting donations for the baskets in January, so please keep this list in mind when you're shopping over the holidays or receive anything you'd like to re-gift:
- Wine: bottles of wine and all accessories
- Spa: bath and shower oils, salts, towels, hair wraps, perfume, facial products, spa gift certificates, items for pedicures/manicures
- Baking: mixes, cookie cutters, cookie sheets, decorating tools and edibles. baking equipment
- "After Dinner": drinks like cognac, whiskey, Bailey's, chocolates, cigars, humidor, magazines
We only take new merchandise for the PAC online auction, but we welcome your items of "gently used" or "white elephant" merchandise for the SGA live auction in March.
Check out our 2016 Auction to see some of the items donated last year. In 2015-2016 we raised over $18,000. This year our goal is $19,000.
Already know what you want to donate? Download and complete the AUCTION DONATION FORM and drop it off with Ms. Mauney at school (label donation "GWCS Auction") or email your form to:
Coyote PAC Fundraising Chair
You can also email Deiadre with any questions, or call her at 571-422-8935. Thank you!
INSIDER'S SCOOP TO ALL THINGS GWCS...
R.S.V.P. & MARK YOUR CALENDAR TODAY!
Note from the leader of the PAC: A Coyote PAC is not seven. We need a PAC of at least 20 parents to RSVP by noon Sunday, January 22nd or the meeting will need to be canceled, again. We'll let you know on Monday, via email, if we have a PAC quorum. Thank you! Ms. Warden
PAC PARENTS' MEETING
TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2017
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
HIGHLIGHTS FOR JANUARY MEETING:
- Co-Ops: Why We Do Them and What They Do for Us?
- OBX: What is an Out of the Box Education?
- Graduation: Not Just for Seniors!
- Reality Education: Is It a Thing?
- And more!
All GWCS parents are encouraged to attend the quarterly PAC Meetings. Appetizer finger foods, desserts and drinks provided (enough to call it a meal) so don't worry if you need to come directly from work. PAC Meetings are a casual time to learn about upcoming GWCS events and opportunities as well as a great chance to mingle with fellow GWCS parents. No pressure, just come and hangout.
Follow this link to learn more about the GWCS Coyote PAC:
CLASS OF 2017 GRADUATION...
GRADUATION FORMS & INFO
- Dear GWCS Class of 2017: It is time to start planning for your high school graduation! At GWCS, graduation is an unforgettable day of reflection and celebration. Please visit the GWCS Senior Webpage often to keep track of info, forms and dates regarding graduation. On Tuesday, January 24th senior parents will have the opportunity to pick up graduation packets and learn more about graduation at the Coyote PAC All-Parents Meeting.
GRADUATION VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Dear GWCS Underclassmen Families: Graduation is an experience not to be missed by anyone at GWCS! We depend on our underclassmen families to plan and implement graduation. Then, when you are a senior, you can sit back and soak in this glorious day. Please watch for emails regarding opportunities to volunteer. For more info and to volunteer, feel free to reach out to:
Coyote PAC Graduation Chair
GWCS CLASS OF 2017 COLLEGE ACCEPTANCES
- Congratulations to the GWCS seniors who have already been accepted into college! Watch this college acceptance list grow as we get closer to graduation! Seniors - remember to send Mrs. Sinichko an email with the name of the colleges where you are accepted and details about any scholarships you were offered.
SUMMER COLLEGE PROGRAMS...
FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS!
Interested in getting a taste of college over the summer?
NOW IS THE TIME TO APPLY!
Visit the GWCS Summer Programs webpage for a running list of some fascinating opportunities for high school students!
If you have participated in a summer college program in the past and you feel it should be added to our list, please send an email with the college name and a link.
Due to an overwhelming amount of munching, the Student Lounge Apple Bowl needs more apples!
SIGN UP today and you will automatically receive an email reminder two days before you are scheduled to bring apples to school.
This is a simple (and delicious!) way to volunteer and contribute if you are short on time.
Coyote PAC Volunteer Chair
GSA BAKE SALE...
Welcome to the newest GWCS Club, the Gay Straight Alliance!
Bake Sale: Help this club get off the ground by donating baked goods for their first fundraiser - a bake sale on February 9th & 10th. All proceeds from the bake sale will go to the Human Rights Campaign.
GSA Meetings: Every Thursday during lunch in Mr. Pereira's classroom. All are welcome.
FACILITIES PAINT WEEKEND RESULTS...
A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to the parents on the GWCS Facilities Committee who dedicated a combined 70+ hours to painting classrooms and other facility improvements last weekend! In no particular order, George Petty, Steve Ginsberg, Linda Cambell, Marcelle Miles, Jan Syers, Tom Morgan, Melissa Morgan, Lisa Reddy, Aveen Devaiah, Doug Fuller and Maureen Harris. The improvements looks fantastic!
Coyote PAC Facilities Chair
Jan 30-31: Midterm Reviews
Jan 31: Scholarship Notification
Feb 1-3: Midterm Exams / Early Dismissal (schedule)
Feb 3: Last Day of 2nd Quarter
Feb 6-7: Junior College Conferences (info)
Feb 7-9: Gap Year Fairs (info)
Feb 9 & 10: GSA Bake Sale (sign up to bake)
Feb 10: Event Night
Feb 15: Cake Decorating Class
Feb 16: Museum of Natural History Field Trip - Biology Class
Feb 20: No School - President's Day
Feb 21 - March 3: PAC Silent Auction
Feb 25: Robotics - Virginia State Championship
Feb 28: Add/Drop Deadline for 3rd Quarter
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families GroupBack to Top