MUST READ QUICK LINKS:
STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The Students of the Week are Ms. Newton's 3rd Period Honors Anatomy and Physiology Class for demonstrating the GWCS value of LEARNING.
Ms. Newton writes: In preparation for the pig dissection, we did a “mock” dissection of snack cakes today. The students had to treat it seriously, use anatomical terms, draw and label, and had points taken off for sloppiness. Look how much they got into it! This lab and how the students reacted is what makes me love this job so much. You know you are doing something right when they are voluntarily doing work and enjoying it!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
THE WEEK AFTER WINTER BREAK...
Happy New Year!
TUESDAY, JANUARY 3, 2017
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2017
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Barrie (Away) tip off 4:00 pm (map)
THURSDAY, JANUARY 5, 2017
- GWCS Foundation Scholarship Application Deadline (info)
- Juniors & Seniors Co-Op Survey - due to Ms. Stombres (survey)
- Staff Meeting from 12:10 pm - 12:50 pm
- Robotics Elective with Mr. Lindner from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz & Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Kingsbury (Home) tip off 4:00 pm (map)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Kingsbury (Home) tip off 5:30 pm (map)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 6, 2017
- Improv/Theatre Elective with Mr. Goldie and Dr. Garon from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Robotics students depart after lunch for Saturday's tournament with Mr. Lindner
SATURDAY, january 7, 2017
- Robotics Southwest Virginia Qualifying Tournament in Cedar Bluff, VA with Mr. Lindner (info)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8, 2018
- Robotics students return from tournament late afternoon.
WREATHS ACROSS AMERICA...
COMMUNITY SERVICE EVENT
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17,2016
8:30 AM - APPROXIMATELY 11:30 AM
It is that time of year again to lay wreaths at Arlington National Cemetery. As the Wreaths Across America website states, this is a chance to remember our fallen veterans and honor those who have served our country. Participating students will earn community service hours for each hour at Arlington Cemetery as well as an additional hour for each family member.
- Park in the south Pentagon lot. (map)
- Meet at the service entrance off Columbia Pike at 8:30 am.
- If you would like to attend the opening remarks you may want to take the metro or park near the main gate of Arlington National Cemetery.
- Wreath laying commences at 10:00 am.
- You can stay as long as you like and make this experience your own.
- If by chance we do not cross paths just keep track of your hours and email me or I will go around and collect community service hours on Tuesday 3 January when we get back from Winter Break.
I personally encourage every member of our community to show up for this event and remember the sacrifices which our military community makes every day. Feel free to contact me, Shawn Fedinatz at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
JUNIOR STUDENTS' & PARENTS' COLLEGE CONFERENCES...
All GWCS juniors and their parents are asked to sign-up (below) for a 30 minute college conference with Ms. Warden and Mr. Pereira. The sooner you sign-up the more likely you are to get the day/time that works best with your schedule.
Monday February 6, 2017
Tuesday February 7, 2017
The purpose of this conference is to discuss the GWCS college application process NOW so that senior year is a calm, exciting, enjoyable and successful year as opposed to a confusing, stressful and frustrating final year of high school.
- GWCS College Application Process
- SAT / ACT Options and Test Dates
- College Visits During Junior Year - Where to Go, When and Why?
- Importance of Grades
- Getting a Job?
- Do Something Cool This Summer!
- Sample Senior Self-Evaluation
GWCS SCHOLARSHIP DEADLINE...
The GW Community School Foundation awards scholarships twice a year, first at the beginning of the academic year and second in January for the second half of the school year. The application for the second half of the 2016/17 Academic year is January 5, 2017. Scholarship notification will be sent out by January 31, 2017.
For more information and to apply for a scholarship, please go to:
GWCS FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND...
DONATE NOW THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2016
All money raised goes to scholarships for current or prospective GWCS students. The GW Community School Foundation was established in 2014 and has given out three scholarships so far. Your donation will help provide many more!
To donate online, click “Support Us” on the foundation website: www.gwcommunityschoolfoundation.com
Checks made out to GW Community School Foundation may be dropped off in the "tuition, forms and payment" collection basket on Ms. Mauney's desk in the cafe.
All donations made to the GW Community School Foundation are tax deductible. All donors will receive a letter verifying their donation and its tax deductible status by the end of the year. We are aiming, as always, for 100% participation. Please consider making a donation of any size!
Coyote PAC Fundraising Chair
Thank you for your support!
GWCS 4TH ANNUAL ONLINE AUCTION...
ACCEPTING AUCTION ITEMS NOW!
We are soliciting donations now for this year's online auction, which will run from February 21st through March 2nd. Funds raised will support three specific areas: Technology, Student Activities and Professional Development. All money raised from the auction will be spent in 2017, so you will see immediate benefits from your donations and purchases.
Best-selling auction items are "experiences" like vacation houses, cultural dinners, parties for students or parents, cooking lessons, beer tastings, wine parties, Ladies Night Out parties, etc. If you have a contact at a local business, please consider asking them for a donation.
Each year we also have baskets with items donated from our community. We will be collecting donations for the baskets in January, so please keep this list in mind when you're shopping over the holidays or receive anything you'd like to re-gift:
- Wine: bottles of wine and all accessories
- Spa: bath and shower oils, salts, towels, hair wraps, perfume, facial products, spa gift certificates, items for pedicures/manicures
- Baking: mixes, cookie cutters, cookie sheets, decorating tools and edibles. baking equipment
- "After Dinner": drinks like cognac, whiskey, Bailey's, chocolates, cigars, humidor, magazines
Check out our 2016 Auction to see some of the items donated last year. In 2015-2016 we raised over $18,000. This year our goal is $19,000.
Already know what you want to donate? Fill out the AUCTION DONATION FORM and drop it off with Ms. Mauney at school (label donation "GWCS Auction") or email your form to:
Coyote PAC Fundraising Chair
You can also email Deiadre with any questions, or call her at 571-422-8935. Thank you!
PAINTING & PIZZA...
Spend a few hours hanging with other GWCS parents while freshening up the school. We will be painting 2 full rooms plus light work on a few more. Mark your calendars for the weekend of January 14th! Sign-up Genius for timeslots will be posted in the next newsletter. Pizza break included!
Coyote PAC Facilities Chair
HOLIDAY SHOP ROCKED...
A BIG THANK YOU to our students, parents and faculty for making the Accotink Holiday Shop come to life. Your donations helped add a little extra cheer to the Accotink students this holiday season. Shout-out to Mr. Connelly and his Santa's helpers: Gabbi Holterman, Alex Corrigan, Ryan Burns and Laura Massey...and a special thanks to Steve Ginsberg (Max's Dad).
Coyote PAC Community Service Chair
AN APPLE A DAY...
MAKE A HEALTHY SNACK DONATION AND FILL OUR APPLE BOWL FOR JANUARY AND FEBRUARY.
SIGN-UP today and you will automatically receive an email reminder two days before you need to bring the apples to school.
This is a simple (and delicious!) way to volunteer and contribute if you are short on time.
Coyote PAC Volunteer Chair
Refer to GWCS online calendar for details.
GWCS Basketball online calendar
Jan 5: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline
Jan 6-8: Robotics - Southwest VA Qualifying Tournament
Jan 14: Coyote PAC Facilities Paint Weekend
Jan 14: Robotics - North Central VA Qualifying Tournament
Jan 16: No School - Martin Luther King Holiday
Jan 20: No School - Student Holiday
Jan 24: PAC Parent's Meeting
Jan 31: Scholarship Notification
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign-up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info (pw=gwcscoyotes)
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group
Thank you for reading all the way to the end!