NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
APRIL 8 - 15, 2017
- Italy Trip with Mr. Torres (EF Tours)
APRIL 8 - 17, 2017
- No School - Spring Break
THE WEEK AFTER SPRING BREAK...
TUESDAY, APRIL 18, 2017
- First Day of 4th Quarter!
- Fantasy Baseball Club Meeting in Mr.Fedinatz's classroom from 2:40 pm- 3:15 pm
- Theatre Rehearsal with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 7:15 pm
- Food Chemistry Field Trip to The Melting Pot with Ms. Newton from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm (map)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017
- Chemistry Field Trip to Barrel Oak Winery with Ms. Newton from 11:00 am - 3:15 pm
- Howler Newspaper Meeting during lunch in Mr. Pereira's classroom
- Improv Club Coffeehouse Prep during Workaround in Dr. G's classroom
- Act I Practice during Workaround in Mr. Goldie's Classroom
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: 42
THURSDAY, APRIL 20, 2017
- GSA Meeting during lunch with Anne & Mr. Pereira - all are welcome!
- Coffeehouse Auditions from 2:40 pm - 3:15 pm
- Theatre Rehearsal with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 7:15 pm
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Batting Cages with Mr. Fedinatz from 3:40 pm - 5:30 pm (info)
FRIDAY, APRIL 21, 2017
- OBX - CPR Certification for all freshmen & sophomores from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm (no gym) (info)
- Spring Co-Ops begin for all juniors and seniors (info)
- Theatre Rehearsal with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 7:15 pm
TREATS FROM PEET'S...
Thank You PAC Parents!
On Wednesday, GWCS teachers and staff were treated to surprise end of the quarter treats from Peet's Coffee with a fun little note that said "3 more days! I think I can, I think I can" Thank you for the thoughtful, unexpected, and much appreciated boost.
GET WELL SOON...
Delia is on the mend from her recent collision with a softball and resulting concussion and she would like to say thanks to her Coyote friends for the get well wishes.
It’s been so good to get together with you at the last few parent coffees. As those in attendance know, we talked a lot about parenting concerns. Following up on that, please check out this blog post that really hit home for me.
Hope you enjoy!
GWCS R.E.A.L. TERM SPRING CO-OPS...
BEGIN FRIDAY, APRIL 21st!
GWCS juniors & seniors
All GWCS juniors and seniors attended internship training on Tuesday afternoon, April 4th.
I. POWERPOINT: Ms. Stombres shared a PowerPoint presentation and discussed important guidelines for student interns. Seniors shared their intern experiences from last year. (download presentation)
II. CONFIRMATION PACKET: Each student intern received an envelope with the following information:
1. A super-duper informative and important letter from Ms. Warden (PLEASE READ!)
2. Two copies of final confirmation information. Where to go, what time, who to ask for…
3. A Liability/Emergency form to complete and give to your supervisor on the first day. Please, do NOT turn this in to GWCS.
4. A Parental Authorization form for parents to complete and return by Friday April 7th.
III. EMAIL: Each student intern sent an email to their Co-Op host. Sample email included on page 13 of PowerPoint presentation.
Please take the time to go over this information as a family. If possible, take a day during spring break to do a practice run to the Co-Op location.
Students who missed the training
Please (1) review the PowerPoint presentation, (2) send your host an email, (3) read through your confirmation packet, and (4) discuss transportation plan with parents.
GWCS Co-Op Coordinator
Have fun, work hard, play hard, learn lots, stretch, grow and be a proud Coyote!
freshmen & sophomores
OBX (Outside the Box Education) is an eight-week program that takes place every Friday during fourth quarter for all GWCS freshmen and sophomores. While the juniors and seniors are off-campus interning at their Co-Ops, freshmen and sophomores are on and off-campus for collaborative and experiential learning activities.
Please do not schedule doctor appointments for Fridays during 4th Quarter. We have an exciting line-up of events for the next eight Fridays. Watch for an email each week with more detailed information about that week's OBX objective as well as what to wear and what to bring!
- April 21, 2017 – CPR Certification
- May 19, 2017 – Old Town Alexandria Tour
- April 28, 2017 – Newseum
- May 26, 2017 – Hemlock Overlook Park
- May 5, 2017 – Coyote Day
- June 2, 2017 – Whitehall Farm
- May 12, 2017 – Natural History Museum
- June 9, 2017 – Canoeing: Fountainhead Park
Join Mr. Fedinatz and Mr. Ginsberg for an afternoon at the batting cages!
- When: Thursday, April 20, 2017
- Depart: GWCS at 3:40 pm
- Return: to GWCS for 5:30 pm pick up
- Wear: Closed-toe shoes (requuired!)
- Bring: $10 cash or credit
- Who: Open to all students - all levels!
A big THANK YOU to the watershed clean-up crews!
At Lake Accotink Park, Ms. Newton was joined by Josh B., Christian and Mr. Bowman, Emily, Kelley and Mr. Carlisle, Elizabeth, Neel, Max and Mr. Ginsberg, Danny, Laura, Delia and Mrs. O'Grady, Rachel, and Ben S.
At Riverbend Park, Ms. Warden was joined by Alex and Mrs. Corrigan, Jack, Ben F, Charlie and Mr. Petty, Julie, Alejandro and Ms Delgado, Cecilia, and Preston and his brother.
COMING SOON: Save the date for our next community service event - the Cystic Fibrosis Walk on May 21. Details coming soon!
ASTROPHYSICS STUDENTS' CELESTIAL EXPERIENCE...
Dr. Cox's has an annual tradition of taking her Honors Astrophysics students on a weekend trip to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO). Following is her account of the 2017 trip that took place the weekend of March 31st:
Last weekend the Astrophysics class took our field trip to Green Bank, WV to the Green Bank Observatory, home of the largest fully steerable telescope in the world. The Green Bank Telescope (known as the GBT) is used by astronomers worldwide to study astronomical objects that emit radio and microwave radiation. It is particularly well suited to the study of pulsars, which are rapidly rotating stellar remnants with strong magnetic fields. We toured the observatory and got an up-close view of this giant telescope, which is about as tall as the Washington Monument, and has a collecting area about 330 feet across.
A much smaller telescope, only 40 feet across, is available for student use. We used this telescope to map a region of the sky that includes the constellations of Orion and Taurus. Our radio map shows bright radio emission from the star forming region in Orion's Belt, and the supernova remnant in Taurus known as the Crab Nebula. The Crab is host to a young, rapidly rotating pulsar, although the radio light we see in our map is mostly due to the hot ionized gas leftover from the supernova explosion rather than the pulsar.
We observed Friday night, reduced our data on Saturday morning, made a contour map on Saturday afternoon after taking the observatory tour, and came home on Sunday. Evenings were spent playing chess, air hockey and pool in the observatory residence hall.
Thanks to Marcelle Miles and Sharon Saile for transportation and chaperone services!
Dr. Caroline Cox
GWCS Science Teacher
CORRIN FOR THE WIN...
2017 GWCS SUPER SMASH BROS. TOURNAMENT
On Tuesday, April 4th, the GWCS SGA honored the lost-but-not-forgotten GWCS Smash Bros. Tournament tradition. GWCS had not sponsored a Smash Bros. Tournament in three years. The last champion (two years in a row) was former student Bobby Sunderland, back in 2014. Students fought as their favorite Nintendo characters trying to win it all.
Students battled as their favorite Nintendo characters trying to win it all. The competition was fierce and came down to the final minutes. There were many twists and turns as the stage ruined the chances of many promising contenders. Congratulations to Danny S. (Corrin) who won by defeating Josh C. (Marth) in the final round. Danny K. (Captain Falcon) took third place by beating Christian (Kirby) in a close third place round. Everyone had a good time and can't wait till the next tournament, and with Danny S. graduating the championship will be up for grabs.
-Josh Clark, SGA Rep (also graduating)
IMPORTANT GRADUATION DATES:
- April 25: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS (*Date Changed from May 2*)
- May 4: Beach Trip Permission Forms due by this date
- May 12: Graduation announcements should be mailed by this date*
- May 18: Talley your total number of guests and submit graduation fee*
- May 21-25: Senior Beach Week in Corolla, NC
- May 31: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS
- June 12: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 12: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 15: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 17: Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony & Reception at The George Washington National Masonic Temple
*Note: Five guests including family are included in Graduation Fee. Additional guests are $25 per person. Each senior table at the reception has eight seats (though more than eight may attend if you wish).
HUNGRY COYOTES IN SEARCH OF APPLES AND GRANOLA BARS...
Parents! Our snack bowl needs your help. Please donate apples and granola bars so the kids can grab a healthy snack after gym or in between classes. The students really appreciate it, and we see the results in our empty snack bowl. SIGN UP HERE - it's a great way to contribute if you are short on volunteer time. Thank you to parents who have donated so far this year!
The student of the week is NICK O'NEAL for demonstrating the GWCS value of INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY.
Nick’s is a conscientious student who pursues every assignment with gusto! Nick is always prepared for class, he often comes to class with more work prepared than was assigned. In Nick’s review of Jared Diamond’s book Collapse, he not only analyzed the complex issues presented by Diamond, he also synthesized counter-arguments of his own! Nick is never completing his assignments just so he can get them done, Nick is completing his assignments to see how much more he can learn!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
Apr 25: Softball Game vs. New School (A)
Apr 25: Graduation Memory Board Making Party
Apr 27: Honors Anatomy & Physiology Field Trip to INOVA Dome
Apr 27: Softball Game vs. Chelsea (H)
Apr 27: Coffeehouse
Apr 27: Screenagers Viewing at Robinson Secondary
Apr 28: Co-Ops (all juniors & seniors)
Apr 28: OBX - Newseum (all freshmen and sophomores)
Apr 30: Auction Event: French Country Cooking Class at Culinaria
May 4: AP Government Exam
May 5: OBX - Coyote Day
May 5: AP US History Exam
May 5: AP Computer Science Principles Exam
May 5: Softball Game vs. New School (H)
May 6: SAT & Subject Tests
May 6: Auction Item: Craft Beer Tasting
May 9: AP Calculus AB Exam
May 10: Softball Game vs. Siena (A)
May 10: One Act Plays at GWCS
May 11: Add/Drop Deadline for 4th Quarter
May 11: One Act Plays at GWCS
May 12: OBX - Q?rius Lab
May 15: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline for 2017-2018 (info)
May 16: Theater Production: Importance of being Ernest
May 17: Theater Production: Importance of being Ernest
May 18: Theater Production: Importance of being Ernest
May 18: Graduation RSVP and Fee Due
May 19: OBX - Old Towne Alexandria Tour
May 20: Prom! Indiana Jones
May 21-25: Senior Beach Trip
May 22-25: Spring Thing 1: Chesapeake Bay Field Station & Followup
May 22-25: Spring Thing 2: Improv Acting Intensive Workshop
May 29: No School - Memorial Day
May 31: Softball Game vs. Chelsea (A)
May 31: Graduation Memory Board Making Party
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN: GWCS Microsoft 365
SENIORS: GWCS Senior College and Graduation Info Webpage
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group