NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SUNDAY, APRIL 30, 2017
- Auction Item: French Country Cooking Class at Culinaria from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm (info)
MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm: Four Minutes
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
TUESDAY, MAY 2, 2017
- Fantasy Baseball Club Meeting in Mr.Fedinatz's classroom from 2:40 pm- 3:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm: Sandlot
WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2017
- Food Chemistry Elective with Ms. Newton from 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm
THURSDAY, MAY 4, 2017
- AP Government Exam from 8:00 am - 11:00 pm (info)
- Senior Beach Trip Permission Forms Due! Basket on Ms. Mauney's desk.
- Sophomore Student-Parent Conferences with Ms. Warden (info)
- GSA Meeting during lunch with Anne & Mr. Pereira - all are welcome!
- Anime Club with Mr. Fedinatz and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Music Club with Mr. Torres from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, may 5, 2017
- AP US History Exam from 8:00 am - 11:00 pm (info)
- AP Computer Science Principles Exam from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (info)
- OBX - Whitehall Farm for all freshmen & sophomores from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm (no gym)
- Spring Co-Ops for all juniors and seniors
- Softball Game: GWCS vs. New School at 4:00 pm - Home at Audrey Moore (map)
SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Auction Item: Craft Beer & Hard Cider Tasting from 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm (info)
COLLEGEBOARD AP EXAMS...
AP EXAMS BEING PROCTORED AT GWCS:
Thursday, May 4th at 8:00 am
AP Government & Politics
Friday, May 5th at 8:00 am*
AP US History
Friday, May 5th AT 12:00 PM*
AP Computer Science Principles
Tuesday, May 9th at 8:00 am
AP Calculus AB
Thursday, May 18th at 8:00 am
AP Computer Science Principles (Extended Time)
*Friday, May 5 Test Takers: Parents need to pick up students after the test. There are no afternoon classes due to the freshman/sophomore OBX field trip and junior/senior internships.
Morning Testing Time: 8:00 am – 11:30 am
Students meet in the café at 8:00 am. Testing rooms will be announced in the morning. Allow for traffic, arrive early and be ready to begin exam. Students are not allowed late entry.
Afternoon Testing Time: 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Students will be assigned a testing room after lunch. Students are not allowed late entry.
What you need for the test:
- Bring sharpened #2 pencils with good erasers, and a dark blue or black pen.
- Do NOT bring phones to the testing room.
- Do NOT bring computers to the testing room unless you are a student with a computer accommodation.
- Food and drinks may be eaten during breaks but not in the testing room.
ap students are expected to know about...
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK...
May 1-5, 2017 is Teacher Appreciation Week and, at GW Community School, we do it big!
Table for 38, please
On Tuesday, May 2nd we (GWCS parents) are inviting our GWCS Faculty families to "dine in" by providing dinner for them to take home. Parents sign up to end in their our best home-cooked dishes and the faculty packages up what they need for their family for dinner that evening. The GWCS faculty reports this as one of their favorite ways to be appreciated -- so bring it on!
CLICK HERE (ASAP) to read the details and contribute, if you choose.
Refer to your email (4/27/17) for the other 'teacher appreciation' plans that are not revealed in this school newsletter!
PAC Faculty Appreciation Chair
BE A BETA TESTER...
- GWCS has been experimenting with a few new online forms (thanks to the kindness and expertise of Peter Suskind) and we are ready for GWCS parents to beta test this attendance form. Whether your child wakes up not feeling well or you have an appointment planned well in advance -- with the help of this form you can inform GWCS with just a few clicks.
- The tricky part is keeping track of the link to the attendance form. We recommend that you click on the link now and bookmark it. Fort the current beta testing time, the attendanced form is also linked on the red announcement bar across the top of the GWCS website.
- Feel free to start using it today. Take it for a test run (indicate in the 'reason' field that it is a test.) You can also comment in the 'reason' field whether or not you think you would take advantage of this attendance form and feel free to make recommendations. GWCS also needs to decide if it works on our end. Regardless, you can always call Ms. Mauney at 703.978.7208 or send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org about attendance.
First Aid, AED & CPR Certification...
Who knew learning to save lives could be so much fun!
GWCS eighth graders, freshmen and sophomores participated in First Aid, CPR and AED training on Friday, April 21st as our kick-off OBX event (Out of the Box Education) for 2017! All participants will receive their CPR certification card in a week or two. Thanks to our fantabulous trainer, Brian, from Respond and Rescue! Like them on --> Respond and Rescue Facebook Page
Graduation planning is in full swing!
TEMPLE TOUR: Graduation Committee Chairs for Food, Beverages, Decorations, Balloons, Flowers, Ushers, and Memory Boards toured the Masonic temple on Saturday, April 22nd, and are busy planning a great day.
MEMORY BOARD MAKING PARTY: Four GWCS seniors got a jump-start on their memory boards at Tuesday night's party. They met with stacks of photos and had a great time sharing their stories while brainstorming creative ways to display them. The next and final party will be on Thursday, May 31st beginning at 2:40 pm. Start collecting your photos and 2-D memorabilia!
WHO MAKES THE MEMORY BOARD? In the past - some families have turned the Memory Board making into a family project; some seniors create their own memory board and; some parents make the memory board a surprise for their senior. It's your call - have the conversation now so you are not frantically making a Memory Board right before graduation! (info)
RUNNING ON EMPTY...
HELP FILL OUR EMPTY BOWLS & stomachs!
Parents! Our snack bowl needs your help. Please donate apples and granola bars so the kids can grab a healthy snack after gym or in between classes. The students really appreciate it, and we see the results in our empty snack bowl. SIGN UP HERE - it's a great way to contribute if you are short on volunteer time. Thank you to parents who have donated so far this year!
The student of the week is DELIA O'GRADY for demonstrating the GWCS value of RESPONSIBILITY.
Delia is always happy to step up and help out when a task absolutely has to get done, and she does it while maintaining her own obligations as well. Even when she suffered a concussion, Delia maintained a can-do attitude and persevered. Her sense of responsibility extends from herself to our community and truly enriches it.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
Alumni update sent in by Richie Catherina (GWCS Class of 2014). Currently a student at George Mason University.
May 9: AP Calculus AB Exam
May 10: Softball Game vs. Siena (A)
May 11: Add/Drop Deadline for 4th Quarter
May 12: OBX - Q?rius Lab
May 15: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline for 2017-2018 (info)
May 16: Theater Production: The Actor's Nightmare
May 17: Theater Production: The Actor's Nightmare
May 18: Theater Production: The Actor's Nightmare
May 18: Graduation RSVP and Fee Due
May 19: OBX - Old Towne Alexandria Tour
May 21-25: Senior Beach Trip
May 22-25: Spring Thing 1: Chesapeake Bay Field Station & Followup
May 22-25: Spring Thing 2: Improv Acting Intensive Workshop
May 29: No School - Memorial Day
May 30: Softball Game vs. The New School (A)
May 31: Softball Game vs. Chelsea (A)
May 31: Graduation Memory Board Making Party
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN: GWCS Microsoft 365
SENIORS: GWCS Senior College and Graduation Info Webpage
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PAC APPLE BOWL: Sign Up to Contribute
PARENT PORTAL: School Related Forms & Info
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS 365 Cloud Info
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
FACEBOOK: Friend Request Goldie Warden to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group