STUDENTS OF THE WEEK...
The students of the week are JOHN MELLOR and XAVIER MILES for demonstrating the GWCS value of EXCELLENCE by going the extra mile and coming in to school dressed as Roman emperors in togas to give their presentations for Mr. Goldie's class. Xavier even played basketball in his toga in the morning.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS Values: Learning, Service, Kindness, Excellence, Responsibility, Investment, Team Play, Intellectual Curiosity
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
SATURDAY, JUNE 4, 2016
- SAT/Subject Tests proctored at GWCS from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
- PROM at The Patriot Hall from 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm, tickets at the door $60 (map)
SUNDAY, june 5, 2016
- Lake Accotink Cardboard Boat Regatta (map) (info) (last year)
Come out and cheer on Dr. Cox's physics students as they compete in the annual Lake Accotink Cardboard Boat Regatta! It's a beautiful park and an exciting event. Pack a picnic and bring the whole family!
-Cost: Free, but $5 to park
-Boat: The Ugly Duckling
-Students: Holden, Danny, Xavier and Kelley
-Races: Begin at 2:00 pm
MONDAY, June 6, 2016
- 12 Days Until Graduation!
TUESDAY, June 7, 2016
- Music Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 6:00 pm: Malcolm X
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 8, 2016
- Chess Club with Mr. Hickman from 2:40 pm - 4:15 pm
- Anime Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Improv/Theatre with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
THURSDAY, JUNE 9, 2016
- Staff Meeting from 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm: Game Change
FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 2016
- Internships! [juniors & seniors] Questions? Contact Mrs. Stombres at email@example.com
- OBX! [freshmen & sophomores] Tour at University of Mary Washington from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm - no gym
PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
PAC #1) SENIOR MEMORY BOARD PARTY & REMINDER
Seniors' completed Memory Boards are due to Ms. Mauney on Monday, June 13th. I wish to thank the Seniors and Parents who were able to attend the Memory Board Parties. I really enjoyed meeting all of you and watching your Memory Boards in progress. What I learned from this experience is this project takes at least a few days time and effort. If you haven't started your Memory Board please make the time to do so soon. If you have questions or need assistance with the process please feel free to reach out to me. I am still available if needed.
I am looking forward to seeing all of the completed Memory Boards at graduation. Congratulations to the GWCS Class of 2016!
PAC #2) FACILITIES WORK WEEKEND SUCCESS!
Last weekend, a small group of dedicated parent volunteers put a fresh coat of paint on Mrs. Sinichko's office walls upgrading from a stark white to a soothing "winter solstice" blue/grey which goes nicely with her paintings by Ms. Warden. Special thanks to Bob and Kim Carter, and Chris Massey. They also painted the utility sink closet in the hallway with a couple needed coats of grey Kiltz.
In addition, Jan Syers, Ellen Sullivan and Nancy Burns are almost done with recovering the café chairs with a more durable (and washable) black vinyl and they look great!
Thanks for giving up your Memorial Weekend to volunteer at GWCS!
Melissa Morgan, PAC Facilities Chair
PAC #3) STUDENT LOUNGE APPLE BOWL & FINALS SNACKS
Thank you for contributing to the Student Lounge Apple Bowl. It has been a success.
For the end of the school year, we have added a list of snack contributions. Particularly for Finals Week! Please take a look at the Apple Bowl link to contribute a treat for the end of the school year.
CLASS OF 2016 GRADUATION...
IMPORTANT DATES & INFO
- April 6: Seniors measured for cap and gown
- April 7: Order your Graduation Announcements by this date
- April 21: Beach Trip Permission Forms due by this date
- May 9: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS at 6:30 pm
- May 12: Graduation announcements should be mailed by this date
- May 19: RSVP with total number of guests and submit graduation fee
- May 22-26: Senior Beach Week in Corolla, NC
- June 1: Memory Board Making Party at GWCS at 6:30 pm
- June 13: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 13: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 16: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 18: Class of 2016 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
FINAL EXAMS: WEEK OF JUNE 13 - 17...
NO GYM. SCHOOL HOURS ARE DIFFERENT. READ CAREFULLY!
- June 13-17: No Gym! Notice the school day is from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm during finals.
- June 13-17: BRING A BOOK TO FINALS! Students will stay in their classroom for the duration of the exam time.
- June 13-17: Students do not have to come to school or stay at school during days/times they do not have a final exam, project, presentation or review session. Students who are at school during a time they do not have a final or a review session will have silent study hall in a classroom.
- June 16: Thursday afternoon: Graduation rehearsal for seniors and underclassmen quilt givers. All participating must attend! Be at school NLT 12:00 pm.
- June 17: Friday afternoon we will have the end-ofthe-year picnic and the annual staff vs. students’ basketball game from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm. Parents and siblings are welcome! Volunteer to contribute to the BBQ on this GOOGLE DOC. Thank you!
FOOD & HELP NEEDED FOR THE BBQ ...
Every year, GWCS celebrates the end-of-the-school-year with a big BBQ party and a Teachers vs. Students basketball game. The BBQ part of this tradition depends on community contributions with the highlight always being Mr. Lindner's famous, secret recipe, "Lindner Burgers"! Do you have a family BBQ favorite you would like to share or would you rather contribute a package of paper plates? All contributions are greatly appreciated! Please CLICK HERE to sign-up to contribute to our end of the year BBQ! (Note - we also need help with set-up and clean-up, scroll to the bottom of the sign-up doc.)
- What: End-of-the-School-Year Celebration BBQ
- Date: Friday, June 17, 2016
- Time: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Location: GWCS lawn (this is a change!) then to Kings Park Park for basketball
- Who: Everybody! Students, teachers, parents & siblings, all are welcome!
- Contribute: CLICK HERE to sign-up to contribute to the BBQ
- Rain: If it is still raining on June 17th - we will still have the BBQ but it will be moved into the school and we will only have room for students and teachers.
ORDER YOUR GWCS YEARBOOK...
Mr. Connelly, Mr. Kochel and the Yearbook class have been working hard all year to create the best-ever GWCS yearbook. You don’t want to miss out on this one!
TO ORDER YOUR YEARBOOK:
- Complete the yearbook order form (CLICK HERE)
- Make check payable to GWCS
- Place order form and check in the collection basket on Ms. Mauney’s desk
- Order by June 17th and save twenty-bucks!
WHEN TO PICK-UP YOUR YEARBOOK:
GWCS has an annual yearbook party in the summer where everyone comes to school to pick-up their yearbook, enjoy a summer BBQ, sign each other’s yearbooks and just hangout. Waiting for an August yearbook delivery allows us to include photos all the way up through graduation. Mark your calendars…
- Yearbook BBQ & Signing Party
- Friday, August 12, 2016
- 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Note: The yearbook party is followed by a movie marathon from 4:30 pm – 10:30 pm! You will receive the entire summer events schedule soon!
GW COMMUNITY SCHOOL FOUNDATION...
2015 - 2016 ANNUAL FUND
The GW Community School Foundation is wrapping up our 2015/16 Annual Fund. Currently, we have raised over $28,000 in the fund. We are in the process of giving out scholarships for the 2016/17 school year.
If you haven't had a chance to contribute to the Annual Fund, please feel free to make a donation of any size you are comfortable with (100% participation is our goal!), at the foundation donation link: http://www.gwcommunityschoolfoundation.com/support-us.html
All funds raised by the foundation are utilized to pay for scholarships for current GWCS students who have financial difficulties arrive in their time at the school, or for prospective students whom would be a good fit for the school but who don't have the financial means available to them for full tuition. Please consider how GWCS has benefited your child, and consider passing on that opportunity to another student who might not have the chance to experience GWCS.
June 13 - 17: Final Exam Week (schedule)
June 13: Senior Speeches Due (info)
June 13: Senior Memory Boards Due (info)
June 15: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Decision
June 16: Graduation Rehearsal for seniors and all underclassmen quilt givers
June 17: Last Day of School / Last Day of Fourth Quarter
June 17: End of the Year BBQ (contribute)
June 18: GWCS Graduation
June 20-24: GWCS Staff Inservice Week
June 22: Last Day to Claim Lost & Found Items
SUMMER AT GWCS...
GWCS SUMMER EVENTS (SO FAR)...
July 14: Movie Marathon #1
Aug 10: Nationals vs. Indians Baseball Game
Aug 12: Yearbook BBQ & Signing Party
Aug 12: Movie Marathon #2
Aug 14-16: Chincoteague Bay Trip
Aug 22: Book Discussion #1 - Bluefish
Aug 22: Book Discussion #2 - The Obstacle is the Way
Aug 27: Bowling Bash
Aug 31: Book Discussion #3 - How to Raise an Adult
- Community Yard Sale at GWCS
- Farmer's Market Visits
- Baltimore Aquarium
LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT YEAR...
2016-2017 SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR
Wondering when the first day of school is next year or when you should plan your spring break vacation for next year? Maybe you're hoping to go on the Staunton Shakespeare Trip or the MIT Splash Trip and want to add the dates to your calendar now? Next year's school year schedule is available on the GWCS online calendar as well as on a one-page at-a-glance calendar, both are linked below. (Events and dates are subject to change - although unlikely.)
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365 Webmail
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PARENT PORTAL: Webpage with Links to School Related Documents & Forms
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS Cloud
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays