STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The student of the week is JOSH BELLOWS for demonstrating the value of INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY and RESPONSIBILITY.
Ms. Shumard writes: "Josh diligently completes all of his Algebra II assignments, even when he is not at school. I think he completes his Algebra work out of genuine interest. Josh is inquisitive and his questioning of mathematical processes enriches our entire class."
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS Values: Learning, Service, Kindness, Excellence, Responsibility, Investment, Team Play, Intellectual Curiosity
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2016
- CERT Training with Ms. Warden from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- CERT Victim Actors - Community Service Event from 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
TUESDAY, MARCH 15, 2016
- Music Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 4:45 pm: Lonesome Dove [Part 3]
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16, 2016
- Anime Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Basketball Banquet at PJ Skidoos from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, tickets required (map)
THURSDAY, MARCH 17, 2016
- SGA St. Patty's Day Auction from 2:15 pm - 3:15 pm
- Ronald McDonald House Community Service with Ms. Ternullo from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 4:45 pm: Lonesome Dove [Part 4]
- Staff Meeting from 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2016
- GWCS 2016-2017 Contracts & Registration Fee due TODAY
- AP Exam Orders are due TODAY
- Costa Rica Trip Departs with Senor Torres & Senorita Newton! Viajes Felices!
gwcs SPRING BREAK
March 19 - 28, 2016
TWELFTH ANNUAL GWCS HEXAGON EXTRAVAGANZA...
Join Mr. Goldie for an evening of laughter!
- WHAT: Hexagon is a nonprofit organization composed of people whose purpose is to create and stage an original, political, satirical, musical comedy revue each year, both to have fun entertaining and to raise money for local charities.
- WHEN: Friday, April 1, 2016 from 4:30 pm – 11:00 pm (Theatre at 8:00 pm)
- WHERE: Wilson High School, 3950 Chesapeake Street NW, Washington DC 20016 (map)
- COST: Dinner + Ticket + Ride + Fun = $50. This is a 'first come, first served' event (limited number of seats). If you like political, musical, satirical theatre then bring a fifty dollar check to school made out to GWCS.
- DRESS: semi casual (no jeans, no tennis shoes, no t-shirts)
- HOW: We will leave after school at approximately 4:30 pm, drive downtown, eat dinner together (at Guapo’s on Wisconsin Avenue or something similar), then drive a few blocks to the theatre which begins at 8:00 pm. We should be back at the school around 10:45 pm.
- INFO: http://www.hexagon.org/
- QUESTIONS? Email Mr. Goldie: firstname.lastname@example.org
ST. PATTY'S DAY AUCTION...
SGA IS COLLECTING YOUR UNWANTED TREASURES
Coming up on the 17th of March, the SGA will be hosting our annual St. Patty's Day Auction. We are asking for item donations for this auction. This a great opportunity to get rid of anything cluttering up your house or garage. Remember, one persons trash is another persons treasure. The auction will take place from 2:15 pm - 3:15 pm, in the cafe. You can drop your items off in Mr. Pereira's classroom (#9). Students, remember to bring cash on the 17th so you can bid on some awesome items! All items remaining in lost-and-found closet will be auctioned off! Rember to look around or you may end up bidding on your own favorite winter coat! Love, Your Pinchy SGA
PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
PAC #1 - GWCS ONLINE AUCTION
Many thanks to our entire community for the wonderfully success online PAC Auction which raised over $18,000 (well over our goal of $16,000!) We are so grateful to our auction committee, our staff and parent community and to our outside community for all of the donations and bidding!
The faculty is already planning what the funds raised will be spent on, with categories of Student Trips, School Technology and Professional Development for our faculty as the top priorities. Stay tuned for a description of how the funds will be spent!
If you haven’t picked up your items yet, or have questions on any of the items you purchased, please email Deiadre Rauch at DeiadreRauch@me.com
not too late
If you missed getting that item you wanted, no worries! We have a few items that are left over from the auction, including a few “Buy a Spots” for some of our events. If you would like to purchase one of these items, email Deiadre at DeiadreRauch@me.com and we will gladly sign you up for one!
- “Buy a Spot” for Tom’s Outdoor Laser Tag Party on Saturday, April 16th from 5:45 p.m.-9:30 p.m. at the Ferguson’s in Potomac Falls, VA. Price is $25.00 https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/667609
- “Buy a Spot” for the “Selecting the Right College Workshop” Saturday, April 16 from 10:00-12:30 pm Price is $100 https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/668684
- “Buy a Spot” Craft Beer and Hard Cider TastingPrice is $30.00 https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/682692
- “Buy a Spot” Globetrotters Game with Mr. Connelly . Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 p.m. Price is $50.00 https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/683255
- Two Online Tutoring Sessions with Educational Connections out of Fairfax, VA. Expires 3/16/17. Value of$180. Will sell for $75.00 https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/684129
- Educational Evaluation from the Lindamood-Bell Company (see this link for complete details: https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/6627/auctions/25976/auction_items/679610) Valued at $850. Will sell for $200.00
PAC #2 - LAKE ACCOTINK WATERSHED CLEANUP
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY!
Date: Saturday, April 2, 2016
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Please join The Nature Conservancy and Fairfax County Park Authority to clean up your watershed. This spring cleaning will remove tires, plastic bottles, cans and other debris from local waterways, preventing trash from reaching the nation’s largest estuary, the Chesapeake Bay. The volunteer effort provides a healthy checkup for local waterways in Fairfax County. And, by recording what you remove, you’ll be helping scientists, ecologists and environmental organizations in their efforts to improve our environment. Student efforts will count as community service hours. And Ms. Warden will be there to join the fun. An appreciation lunch and other free, fun events like hikes and campfire programs will take place after the workday. Please dress comfortably in clothing that you don't mind getting dirty in. Please wear closed shoes or boots that can withstand wetness.
Sign-up here --> Accotink Watershed Cleanup
Questions? Contact: Julia O'Grady @ PAC-Com-Serv@GWCommunitySchool.com
THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEGUN...
On Thursday, March 10th we began the 100-Day-Countdown to Graduation for the GWCS Class of 2016!
IN THE NEWS...
CARING FOR OUR NEW COYOTE REPTILES -
READ THE ---> NEWS BLURB
UPCOMING COMMUNITY SERVICE EVENTS...
REFER TO GWCS ONLINE CALENDAR FOR DETAILS:
3/14/16: CERT Victim Actors from 4:00 pm - 5:15 pm
3/17/16: Ronald McDonald House from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
4/?/16 : Wakefield Run Stream Monitoring Project*
4/2/16: Accotink Watershed Clean-Up from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (sign-up)
4/4/16: CERT Victim Actors from 4:00 pm - 5:15 pm
4/7/16: Ronald McDonald House from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
4/29/16 - 5/1/16: CERT Urban Search & Rescue - days and times vary (sign-up)
5/?/16 : Wakefield Run Stream Monitoring Project*
5/5/16 - Ronald McDonald House from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
5/22/16 - Annual Cystic Fibrosis Walk at 2:30 pm in Reston (sign-up)
6/?/16 : Wakefield Run Stream Monitoring Project*
Earth Sangha and others TBA*
*Dates and times to be announced.
The GWCS community service requirement is listed on student transcripts along with the number of hours performed each year and includes the following introduction:
"Community service is an important principle at the GW Community School. Students are expected to complete 30 hours of community service during the course of one full school year (7.5 hours per quarter). Accordingly, students whose transcripts show more than 30 hours went above and beyond what was expected, and students whose transcripts show less did not meet expectations. We hope that this information allows you to form a more complete picture of our students as participants in our community and in the world at large. Community service hours completed prior to attending GWCS are not recorded."
If you have completed community service outside of GWCS, please remember to complete the community service form and turn it in to Ms. Mauney ASAP.
Mar 30: Northern Virginia Regional College Fair (info)
Apr 1: Hexagon
Apr 2: Accotink Watershed Cleanup
Apr 4: Pajama Day
Apr 4: CERT Training
Apr 7: Ronald McDonald House
Apr 13: Chemistry Field Trip
Apr 13: PAC All Parents Meeting
Apr 14: X-STEM Science & Engineering Festival
Apr 15: Event Night
Apr 18: CERT Training
Apr 21: Last Day of 3rd Quarter
Apr 22: Internships Begin
Apr 22: No School - Student Holiday
Apr 29: OBX Begins
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365 Webmail
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PARENT PORTAL: Webpage with Links to School Related Documents & Forms
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS Cloud
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
COYOTE ROBOTICS: GWCS Coyote Robotics Website
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays