STUDENT OF THE WEEK...
The student of the week is DELIA O'GRADY for demonstrating the GWCS value of INVESTMENT.
Yes, Delia is helpful around school. Yes, Delia is a good student. Yes, Delia is delightful. No, you do not know the depth of Delia's dedication to the GWCS basketball team. Despite a reoccurring ankle injury that has plagued her since early December, Delia has taped-up, and played in nearly every game in spite of every level of discomfort. When she can't play, Delia still dresses-out and sits on the bench and supports and encourages her teammates. She helps with equipment, films games, and always comes to practice. In the inaugural season for girls basketball at GWCS, when commitment and dedication have been tantamount to success, Delia has been a super star!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS Values: Learning, Service, Kindness, Excellence, Responsibility, Investment, Team Play, Intellectual Curiosity
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
MONDAY, JANUARY 25, 2016
- Sock Drive!
- CERT Training with Ms.Warden from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:45 pm: Lincoln
TUESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2016
- LAST DAY for the SGA Sock Drive!
- Sandwich Making - Parent Community Service Event from 8:30 am - 10:30 am (info)
- Music Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Robotics with Mr. Lindner from 3:20 pm - 5:00 pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Cornerstone at 4:30 pm (home)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Cornerstone at 5:45 pm (home)
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27, 2016
- Anime Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
THURSDAY, JANUARY 28, 2016
- Robotics with Mr. Lindner from 3:20 pm - 5:00 pm
- Boys JV Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Field School at 4:00 pm (away)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. New School at 4:00 pm (home)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 29, 2016
- HIM Sports: After-school movie with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm - Rudy
Midterms are right around the quarter! We at GWCS pride ourselves on providing our students with an excellent exam experience. We will start our exam days with the gym to get our minds and bodies in gear, share in a healthy breakfast provided by our PAC, and take exams in a very low-stress environment.
Our teachers have designed our exams to take approximately an hour, and ALL students will have the accommodation of 100 percent extra time. We want our students to be able to showcase their mastery and to be able to take their time doing so. That said, students should bring non-electronic reading material to each exam should they finish early. A limited supply of magazines and newspapers will be provided.
Study guides will be emailed next week.
We've done everything we could think of to make this midterm exam period as pedagogicly positive as possible!
Here's what you can do:
- Start studying now! Though study guides will be provided next week, we know that student-created study guides are really effective.
- Consider forming a study group with your classmates. Study groups work.
- Be responsible. Read the midterm schedule and our emails carefully. There is a lot of important information in that one little midterm sheet, especially expectations that you may not be aware of. Know where you need to be when.
- Get a good night's sleep before each exam.
- Take a deep breath and enjoy this exam experience!
PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
#1 - SOCKS AND SANDWICHES:
The Community Service Committee and the SGA invite you to participate in a Socks and Sandwiches project.
Parents, please join us for the PB&J sandwiches making event for McKenna's Wagon.
DATE: Tuesday January 26th
TIME: 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Our goal will be to make 400 sandwiches. Your PAC will donate the fixin’s, so all you have to provide is the labor (of love). The sandwiches you make will be distributed on McKenna’s Wagon, a volunteer-run, mobile food service that provides hot, nutritious evening meals, sandwiches, fruit, and snacks to 150 - 250 homeless men and women at three locations across the city every night.
Please email Julia O'Grady firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to join us.
Meanwhile, the SGA will be collecting socks for the shelter from now until January 26th. Everyone is encouraged to bring in at least one pair of socks. Our goal is to collect at least 300 pairs of socks by January 26th enabling us to keep 3,000 toes warm this winter! We can easily accomplish this goal, so keep donating Coyotes!
#2 - THE 2016 GW COMMUNITY SCHOOL ONLINE SILENT AUCTION: FEB 17 - MARCH 2, 2016:
ATTENTION! DATES OF THE ONLINE AUCTION HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO FEBRUARY 17TH-MARCH 2! NOW WE WILL BE USING THE FEBRUARY 24TH PAC MEETING AS A CHANCE TO DISPLAY THE AUCTION BASKETS AND SOME OF OUR DONATIONS.
This year the fund's raised from the auction will go to student trips, school technology and professional development for our faculty
AUCTION BASKETS: WINE, "RETRO", SOUTHWESTERN AND "OFF TO COLLEGE"
Please bring your donations to GWCS and place in the labeled dark grey bins by Mr. Pereira's classroom. Please leave any wine (or spirits) donations wrapped, labeled and under Ms. Mauney's desk (if she is not present). Please label items with your name and the 'basket' you would like to donate the wine to.
Note: When signing up to donate - you do not have to collect everything if the slot has multiple items. Additional'Sign Up' cues are added to these slots. Please list the items you are donating in the comments section. This allows other donors to know what is left on the list and assists the Fundraising Committee with inventory.
DONATIONS FROM FAMILY, FRIENDS AND BUSINESSES
We are accepting donations of all kinds at this time! Each family will be getting an individual email from an auction committee member to suggest different types of items and experiences that you might like to donate. Contact Deiadre Rauch at DeiadreRauch@me.com with any questions about possible donations. Here’s a link to the Donation Form --> donation form link here. Thank You!
#3 – Mid-Year Munchies - Teacher Appreciation Brunch/Lunch
Parents, save the date for Mid-Year Munchies - Teacher Appreciation Brunch/Lunch. Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, February 10th’s teacher appreciation brunch/lunch. Sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090c49a9ab292-midyear . All families are encouraged to contribute a delicious dish or some volunteer time!
THE DOORS WILL BE LOCKED...
THE EXTERIOR DOORS TO OUR BUILDING ALL HAVE NEW LOCKS AND HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW...
- Early Drop-offs: If you drop your child off at school before a staff member has arrived - the doors will be locked. Please drop him or her off at an alternative location such as Peet's Coffee, Subway, Kings Park Library.
- One or Two-Hour Delays: If school has a delayed opening, the staff will arrive 15 minutes before the delayed start time. For example, if there is a two-hour delay. GWCS will open at 9:45 am for a 10:00 am start. If you need to drop-off earlier than that, please follow the suggestion above.
- Locked at the End of the Day: The exterior doors will be locked 15 minutes after the last school activity is completed each day.
GWCS COFFEE HOUSE DVD...
LAST CHANCE TO ORDER!
WHAT: DVD of GWCS Coffee House from December 11, 2015
COST: $7.00 cash or check payable to GWCS
HOW: Place check or cash with a note for who it's for in envelope labeled "coffee house dvd" hanging on the back of Ms. Mauney's computer.
STARRING & SUPPORTING CAST: Mr. Andrews Bashan, Mr. Goldie, Mr. Pereira, Brian, Delia, Emily S., Josh, Katie, Laura, Nick, Paul, Ronan, Trevor, Wade, Xavier, and Zach!
HAVE YOU READ THE NEWS...
GWCS Students Dive in at MIT SPLASH!
Feb 1: CERT Training
Feb 2 - 4: Midterms (info)
Feb 5: No School - Student Holiday
Feb 5-7: Recommended College Visit Days for Juniors & Seniors
Feb 6: Robotics Scrimmage at GWCS
Feb 13-14: Anime Club - Katsucon (info)
Feb 15: No School - Presidents Day
Feb 17 - Mar 2: PAC Silent Auction
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365 Webmail
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PARENT PORTAL: Webpage with Links to School Related Documents & Forms
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS Cloud
COYOTE WEB: Student's grades, attendance and more
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
COYOTE ROBOTICS: GWCS Coyote Robotics Website
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays
Thank you for reading all the way to the end!