COMMUNITY MEMBERS OF THE WEEK...
Service? Kindness? Team Play? Investment? Responsibility? Excellence? We couldn't pick just one value that was represented this week, nor could we pick just one student! The GW Community School Coyotes were out in force during the historic blizzard of 2016 making each of their communities safer by digging out fire hydrants. After receiving a call to action from our CERT leaders, (learn more about the GWCS CERT training here) Coyotes got on it, making sure that fire fighters would have immediate access to hydrants should the need arise. I couldn't be prouder of our efforts. Way to go Coyotes! ~Ms. Warden
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS Values: Learning, Service, Kindness, Excellence, Responsibility, Investment, Team Play, Intellectual Curiosity
NEXT WEEK AT GWCS...
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL!
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2016
- The Sock Drive is Extended!
- CERT Training with Ms.Warden from 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm
- Boys JV Basketball Playoffs: GWCS vs. Kingsbury at 4:00 pm (home)
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2016
- Sock Drive!
- Music Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Robotics with Mr. Lindner from 3:20 pm - 5:00 pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Commonwealth at 4:00 pm (home)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. Commonwealth at 5:15 pm (home)
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2016
- Sock Drive!
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:45 pm: Lincoln (instead of Monday)
- Anime Club with Mr. Andrews Bashan and Ciara from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2016
- Sock Drive!
- Robotics with Mr. Lindner from 3:20 pm - 5:00 pm
- Girls Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. French School at 4:00 pm (home)
- Boys Varsity Basketball Game: GWCS vs. French School at 5:30 pm (home)
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2016
- No School - Student Holiday
- Boys Varsity: GWCS vs. Commonwealth at 7:00 pm (away)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2016
- Robotics: Pre-States Scrimmage at GWCS with Mr. Lindner from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Due to the recent snow blizzard and school being canceled for seven days, we are moving midterms (and the end of 2nd quarter) back by one week!
Midterm Reviews will take place February 8 & 9
Midterm Exams will be proctored on February 10, 11, 12
Early Dismissal - 11:30 am - Friday, February 12
We at GWCS pride ourselves on providing our students with an excellent exam experience. We will start our exam days with the gym to get our minds and bodies in gear, share in a healthy breakfast provided by our parents, and take exams in a very low-stress environment.
Our teachers have designed our exams to take approximately an hour, and ALL students will have the accommodation of 100 percent extra time. We want our students to be able to showcase their mastery and to be able to take their time doing so. That said, students should bring non-electronic reading material to each exam should they finish early. A limited supply of magazines and newspapers will be provided.
Study guides will be emailed next week.
We've done everything we could think of to make this midterm exam period as pedagogically positive as possible!
Here's what you can do:
- Start studying now! Though study guides will be provided next week, we know that student-created study guides are really effective.
- Consider forming a study group with your classmates. Study groups work.
- Be responsible. Read the midterm schedule and our emails carefully. There is a lot of important information in that one little midterm sheet, especially expectations that you may not be aware of. Know where you need to be when.
- Please be aware that you will be expected to remain in your midterm classroom for the entirety of the midterm session. Use of electronic devices after you have completed your midterm exam will not be allowed. Bring a book or magazines.
- Get a good night's sleep before each exam.
- Take a deep breath and enjoy this exam experience!
PAC PAW PRINTS...
Coyote PAC is a GWCS program designed to more formally incorporate the wealth of parental resources and talents that are so obviously abundant in our community. PAC Paw Prints is a section of the weekly newsletter where you can catch-up on all PAC related news and events.
#1 – MidTerm Breakfast Snacks
We survived Snowpocageddenzilla 2016! And, midterms are delayed until February 10th, 11th and 12th. Every year, PAC parents supply the midterm breakfast snacks each morning to fuel our coyote’s brains. Protein packed snacks, like boiled eggs, paired with complex carbohydrates, like fresh fruit and granola bars, will help the students stay alert and stomachs satisfied. With that said, please do not contribute any sugary pastries, donuts and the like.
- Here is a link to the list of snacks needed for Mid Term breakfast each day. Any left overs will be reserved for the next morning. (And Faculty will enjoy as well.)
- Please keep in mind that we will need some gluten free snacks as well.
- Nothing will be reheated or toasted - this is grab and go so individual packs of items are needed and will help keep clean up to a minimum.
Please bring your contribution to GWCS after drop off to the Gym.
Coordinator: Linda Campbell
#2 - SOCKS AND SANDWICHES:
The Community Service Committee and the SGA invite you to participate in a Socks and Sandwiches project. Please note due to the snow we have moved the date to February 16th.
Parents, please join us for the PB&J sandwiches making event for McKenna's Wagon.
DATE: Tuesday February 16th (date change)
WHO: GWCS Parents
TIME: 8:30 am - 10:30 am
WHERE: GWCS cafe
RSVP: Email: Julia O'Grady
Our goal will be to make 400 sandwiches. Your PAC will donate the fixin’s, so all you have to provide is the labor (of love). The sandwiches you make will be distributed on McKenna’s Wagon, a volunteer-run, mobile food service that provides hot, nutritious evening meals, sandwiches, fruit, and snacks to 150 - 250 homeless men and women at three locations across the city every night.
Please email Julia O'Grady firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to join us.
Meanwhile, the SGA has extended collecting socks for the shelter from now until February 16th. Everyone is encouraged to bring in at least one pair of socks. Our goal is to collect at least 300 pairs of socks by February 16th enabling us to keep 3,000 toes warm this winter! We can easily accomplish this goal, so keep donating Coyotes!
#3 - The 2016 GWcs PAC Online Silent Auction
February 17 – March 2, 2016
Attention! Dates of the online auction have been changed to February 17th-March 2! Now we will be using the February 24th PAC meeting as a chance to display the Auction Baskets and some of our donations.
This year the fund's raised from the auction will go to student trips, tchool Technology and professional development for our faculty
Auction Baskets: Wine, "Retro", Southwestern and "Off to College"
Please donate an item to one of the themed basket that will be auctioned. Bring your donations to GWCS and place in the labeled dark grey bins by Mr. Pereira's classroom. Please leave any wine (or spirits) donations wrapped, labeled and under Ms. Mauney's desk (if she is not present). Please label items with your name and the 'basket' you would like to donate the wine to.
Note: when signing up to donate - you do not have to collect everything if the slot has multiple items. Additional'sign up' cues are added to these slots. Please list the items you are donating in the comments section. This allows other donors to know what is left on the list and assists the Fundraising Committee with inventory.
Donations from Family, Friends and Businesses
We are accepting donations of all kinds at this time! Each family will be getting an individual email from an auction committee member to suggest different types of items and experiences that you might like to donate. Contact Deiadre Rauch at DeiadreRauch@me.com with any questions about possible donations. Here’s a link to the Donation Form --> donation form link here
#4 – Teacher Appreciation BruncH/LUNCH
Parents, save the date for Mid-Year Munchies - Teacher Appreciation Brunch/Lunch. Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, February 10th teacher appreciation lunch/brunch. Sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090c49a9ab292-midyear . All families are encouraged to contribute a delicious dish or some volunteer time!
SUMMARY OF PAC SIGN-UP LINKS:
Feb 8 & 9: Midterm Reviews
Feb 10: Midterm Exams - 2nd & 3rd period
Feb 11: Midterm Exams - 4th & 5th period
Feb 12: Midterm Exams - 6th period
Feb 12: Early Dismissal at 11:30 am
Feb 13: Robotics State Championships
Feb 13-14: Anime Club - Katsucon (info)
Feb 15: No School - Presidents Day
Feb 16: Sandwich Making - Parent Community Service Event
Feb 16: Last Day to Donate Socks
Feb 17 - Mar 2: PAC Silent Auction
Feb 18: Ronald McDonald House Community Service Event
Feb 19: French Field Trip - Bistrot du Coin
Feb 22: CERT Training
Feb 22: Boys Varsity Basketball Playoffs
Feb 24: PAC All Parents Meeting
HELPFUL SCHOOL LINKS...
SCHOOL EVENTS: GWCS Online Calendar
OFF-SITE EMAIL: GWCS Microsoft 365 Webmail
BASKETBALL: Coyote Basketball Schedules
SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS: GWCS Foundation
PARENT PORTAL: Webpage with Links to School Related Documents & Forms
PARENTS - COYOTE PAC: GWCS PAC Webpage
MICROSOFT OFFICE 365: GWCS Cloud
COYOTE WEB: Student's Grades, Attendance and More
STAFF CONTACT INFO: GWCS Teacher & Staff Emails & Phone Numbers
COYOTE ROBOTICS: GWCS Coyote Robotics Website
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY: GWCS Closings & Delays