NEWSLETTER QUICK LINKS:
SATURDAY, may 5, 2018
- Auction Item: Nats vs. Phillys (info)
- SAT & Subject Tests proctored at GWCS from 7:30 am - 1:00 pm
MONDAY, MAY 7, 2018
- NO GYM - School begins at GWCS at 8:00 am today! (Altered howl schedule.)
- Special Assembly after lunch in the cafe
- AP Exam Bubble Party in Dr. Garon's classroom from 2:40 pm - 3:15 pm - for all students taking an AP exam! (info)
- Co-Op Survey's due by 4:00 pm - all juniors and seniors (survey link)
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: Amelia
TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2018
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
- Auction Item: Goldie & Godot (info)
WEDNESDAY, may 9, 2018
- Anime Club during lunch with Ciara from 12:15 pm - 12:50 pm
- Prom Committee Fieldtrip with Ms. Mauney from 2:30 pm - 3:15 pm
- GSA Movie & Potluck Fundraiser with Anne from 3:15 pm - 5:45 pm (info)
- Coyote Robotics with Mr. Lindner from 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
THURSDAY, may 10, 2018
- AP Exam: US Government at 8:00 am
- AP Exam: Environmental Science at 12:00 pm
- GSA Meeting with Mr. Pereira and Anne at 12:30 pm
- Auction Item: Flower Power Cocktail Hour (info)
FRIDAY, may 11, 2018
- Co-Ops for all GWCS juniors & seniors
- OBX: Roer's Zoofari for all GWCS freshmen & sophomores
NOTE: GWCS Foundation Scholarship Deadline is May 15, 2018 (info)
The Student of the Week this week is LOGAN McLACHLEN for demonstrating the GWCS value of EXCELLENCE!
In English class, Logan has gone above and beyond on his current assignment, using his Photoshop skills to create fantastic original art for a book. On OBX's Logan has been a consistent and reliable participant. With the end of the year coming up, Logan has increased his effort and engagement instead of slacking off. For all these reasons, Logan had an excellent week!
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
AP EXAMS BEGIN THIS WEEK...
If you signed up to take an AP exam this year, here is WYNK:
MAY 7 - AP EXAM BUBBLE PARTY
- ALL STUDENTS taking an AP exam this month need to complete the name, address, and general information portion of their answer sheet prior to exam day. We will be bubbling in this information on Monday, May 7th during Workaround.
MORNING ap EXAMS
- Students taking a morning AP exam should arrive at the school no later than 7:45am. Testing will begin at 8:00 am. Students who are late will not be allowed to take the test. Student can leave after the exam with written permission from their parents or stay the full day and participate in their afternoon classes. Because there are no classes on Fridays, all AP students whose exam is on a Friday should be picked up after the test.
AFTERNOON ap EXAMS
- Students taking an afternoon AP exam can come into school no later than 11:45 am with written permission from their parents or at regular time and participate in their morning classes. Testing will begin at 12:00 pm. Students who are late will not be allowed to take the test. Because there are no classes on Friday mornings, all AP students whose exam is on a Friday should arrive at 11:45 am.
AP EXAM SCHEDULE
2018 Test Dates and Times
Thursday, May 10, 2018
AP Government & Politics
Thursday, May 10, 2018
AP Environmental Science
Friday, May 11, 2018
AP US History
Friday, May 11, 2018
AP Computer Science Principles
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Friday, May 25, 2018 (for any students already taking another AP exam on 5/10)
AP Government & Politics
AP Exam end times will vary depending on the subject and student accommodations. In general, morning exams will run from 8:00 am - 11:30 am and afternoon exams will run from 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE EXAM
- (2) Sharpened #2 Pencils
- (2) Pens (blue or black ink – if you are taking a test with an essay section)
- Calculator (if you are taking a test with a math section)
- Click--> COLLEGE BOARD EXAM DAY POLICIES
- Click--> WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT BRING!
GSA MOVIE & POTLUCK...
wednesday, May 9, 2018 from 3:15 pm - 5:45 pm
- Movie: Space Jam
- Cost: Movie is free. Food is $5.00 cash for single plate or $10 cash for all you can eat!
- Proceeds: Human Rights Campaign
All students are invited to participate in the GWCS GSA After-School Movie & Potluck Fundraiser! We will be showing the movie Space Jam and enjoying a potluck dinner together!!! But, for dinner to happen, we need food. That’s where you come in!
RSVP and sign up to contribute to the potluck by clicking on the button below:
IMPORTANT GRADUATION DATES:
This list is shrinking quickly! Worried you missed something? Need more details? Refer to full list of important dates and info links by clicking the button above.
- May 17: R.S.V.P DEADLINE - Talley total number of guests and submit graduation fee & R.S.V.P. form by this date!
- May 17: Quilt Giver name due - signup sheet in cafe
- June 11: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 11: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 14: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 16: Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
GWCS GRADUATION COUNTDOWN...
GWCS FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
tuesday, MAY 15, 2018
The GW Community School Foundation awards scholarships twice a year. The application for the first half of the 2018-2019 academic year is due Tuesday, May 15, 2018. Scholarship notifications will be sent out by June 15, 2018. For more information and to apply for a scholarship, please go to http://www.gwcommunityschoolfoundation.com.
One of the best parts of being a student at GWCS is that everyone is friends! Prom is a fun evening of dancing - even if you think you can't dance, hanging out and just having fun with your friends. come one, come all!
Theme: Enchanted Forest
Date: Friday, June 1, 2018
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: Historic Blenheim in Fairfax (map)
Tickets: $30/per person
Who? GWCS Prom is open to all GWCS students - all grades!
Dress: Semi-formal or as fancy as you'd like!
Guest Form: Click Here
Coyote Robotics FTC Team 3749 Bionic Penguins had a great trip to the FIRST World Championships in Detroit last week. Our robot worked pretty well, despite a few hurried repairs between matches, but the competition was very tough. The Championship Winners scored 6 glyphs in Autonomous and completed all the tasks and were waiting on the balancing stone with 20 seconds left in the match! We won 3 of 9 qualification matches and finished ranked 44 out of 64 in our division (two spots higher than another Virginia team from Ashburn). Next to our pit was a team from The Netherlands and one of our alliance partners was a team from Poland. Teams from 15 countries were there among the 128 FTC teams. Our kids and parents got to see the true vision of what an FIRST Tech Challenge can be and are already excited about doing new stuff for the coming season.
For now, we will continue meeting on Wednesdays from 3:15-5:00 PM for any interested. We will work on ideas and plans for the next season as well as build robots for fun and learn to program them. If you plan to attend on a given Wednesday, please stop by my classroom and tell me or email me to let me know you are coming. That way if no-one is coming I can go home.
Thanks to everyone who participated and helped support our program this year. Next year all four programs will have a common theme of FIRST Launch 2019 commemorating Apollo 11’s Mission to the Moon 50 years ago. Next year’s FTC game will be called “Rover Ruckus”.
Hope to see you on Wednesdays!
GWCS Coyote Robotics Coach
(click image to enlarge)
GOAL ALMOST MET!
Dear GWCS Community -
Thank you once again for your generous contributions to our online auction and fundraising efforts. This school year has flown by, and I can hardly believe our 2018 graduating class will be in their caps and gowns in less than 57 days. I get teary just thinking about it! I'm so proud of our seniors, and of all of our students and faculty.
As you know, anyone who chose to give a direct donation will see their name -- with our thanks -- in our GWCS 2018 Graduation Program (unless you opted to donate anonymously). As we prepare for graduation, we wanted to give everyone another opportunity to donate directly to GWCS. We have five donation levels, and any amount is welcome and appreciated as a way to honor our GWCS students, faculty and school.
Here's the link: http://www.gwcommunityschool.com/support-us/#anchor-donate
The deadline for your name to appear in the graduation program is Memorial Day, May 28th.
Thank you again, as always.
GWCS 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
Updated 5.2.18 - changes include:
- October 6 SAT -- date added
- Staunton Shakespeare Trip -- date change
Thank you, PAC Parents, for the yummy Panera Bread lunches delivered to all of the GWCS staff on Tuesday, May 1st as the kick-off of Teacher Appreciation MONTH! Say what? GWCS PAC has announced they will be celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week the whole month of May! That's crazy! But, we try to set an example for our students and not argue with our parents.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
May 15: GWCS Scholarship Deadline
May 15: AP Calculus Exam
May 17: Graduation Fee Form & RSVP Due
May 18: OBX - Paper Roller Coasters
May 20-24: Senior Beach Trip
May 25: OBX - NOVA Theatre Tour
May 28: No School - Memorial Day
May 30: Stream Cleanup
June 1: 2018-2019 Tuition Plan 'A' Payment Due
June 1: GWCS Prom
June 2: SAT & Subject Tests
June 11-15: Final Exams
June 14: Graduation Rehearsal
June 15: Last Day of School - End of Year BBQ
June 16: GWCS Class of 2018 Graduation
- SCHOOL EVENTS ONLINE CALENDAR
- EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING - OBX EVENTS
- SUPPORT US
- SUMMER CAMPS & INFO
- 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR AT-A-GLANCE
- EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN
- SENIORS - COLLEGE - GRADUATION
- FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS
- PARENT PORTAL
- PARENTS - COYOTE PAC
- GWCS NEWS BLOG
- MICROSOFT OFFICE 365
- COYOTE WEB (status reports, grades, attendance...)
- STAFF CONTACT INFO
- INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
- FACEBOOK (Friend Request 'Goldie Warden' to be added to the GWCS Current Families Group)
- TWITTER (follow us @GWCSCoyote)