NEWSLETTER QUICK LINKS:
SUNDAY, may 20, 2018
Senior Beach Trip Departs at 9:00 am with Mr. Goldie, Mr. Lindner and Ms. Kohler
Great Strides Walk - Community Service Event with Mr. Connelly from 8:30 am - 11:30 am - Sign Up Here
MONDAY, MAY 21, 2018
- History in Movies with Mr. Goldie from 3:15 pm - 5:30 pm: The Aviator
- Colleges that Change Lives Fair from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm (info)
TUESDAY, MAY 22, 2018
- Staff Meeting from 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm
WEDNESDAY, may 23, 2018
- Graduation R.S.V.P. Due for all underclassmen families (info)
- Anime Club during lunch with Ciara from 12:15 pm - 12:50 pm
- Prom Committee Meeting with Ms. Mauney from 2:40 pm - 3:15 pm
THURSDAY, may 24, 2018
- Senior Beach Trip Returns to GWCS at 12:00 pm-ish - pick up upon their return.
- GSA Meeting with Mr. Pereira and Anne at 12:30 pm
FRIDAY, may 25, 2018
- Co-Ops for all GWCS juniors & seniors
- OBX: NOVA Theatre for all GWCS freshmen & sophomores
SATURDAY, MAY 26, 2018
- Spring Cleanup at GWCS from 8:00 am - 11:00 am with Melissa Morgan (info)
MONDAY, MAY 28, 2018
- School Closed - Memorial Day
The Student of the Week this Week is NOAH NELSON for demonstrating the GWCS value of INVESTMENT!
Noah gives to his community in a myriad of ways every day. Noah will help you with a math problem. He will encourage you if you are struggling. He will run an errand for Ms. Warden when she is short on time. He will be an amazing TA for his science class, both in preparations and in demonstrations. He will be the guest emcee at coffeehouse and be charming and affable. He will give you a donut and not make you feel bad for wanting a donut. Got something/anything on your mind? Talk to Noah for five minutes and walk away feeling refreshed. Thanks Noah, for everything.
Check out the 'Student of the Week' bulletin board near Mr. Pereira's classroom. Each week a student is recognized for his or her demonstration of one of the eight GWCS Values.
GWCS VALUES: LEARNING, SERVICE, KINDNESS, EXCELLENCE, RESPONSIBILITY, INVESTMENT, TEAM PLAY, INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY
GREAT STRIDES WALK...
What: Great Strides 5K Walk
Date: Sunday, May 20, 2018
Time: 8:30 am - 11:30 am
Location: Village at Leesburg (map)
Sign up for the Great Strides Walk for Cystic Fibrosis on Sunday, May 20th at 9:30 am (check in opens at 8:30 am) at the Village at Leesburg, Leesburg, VA.
This may be the last major community service opportunity of the year and a chance to support a great cause. If you do not have your hours, it is imperative that you go. You will receive 3 hours for yourself and 1 additional hour for each friend or family member you bring along.
The link below will allow you to register on Team Lewis (A GWCS Alumni). Make sure to donate and come ready to have a good time.
Thank you for registering and supporting our community and a great cause,
UNDERCLASSMEN GRADUATION R.S.V.P.
Email Ms. Mauney by Wednesday, May 23, 2018!
If underclassmen parents and/or students are volunteering at graduation - we would still greatly appreciate an RSVP email indicating that you will be attending the reception following graduation so we are sure to have an accurate head-count for food!
AP EXAMS BEGIN THIS WEEK...
If you signed up to take an AP exam this year, here is WYNK:
MORNING ap EXAMS
- Students taking a morning AP exam should arrive at the school no later than 7:45am. Testing will begin at 8:00 am. Students who are late will not be allowed to take the test. Student can leave after the exam with written permission from their parents or stay the full day and participate in their afternoon classes. Because there are no classes on Fridays, all AP students whose exam is on a Friday should be picked up after the test.
AP EXAM SCHEDULE
Remaining 2018 AP Test Dates and Times
Friday, May 25, 2018 (make up date)
AP Government & Politics
Friday, May 25, 2018 (make up date)
AP Calculus AB
AP Exam end times will vary depending on the subject and student accommodations. In general, morning exams will run from 8:00 am - 11:30 am.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE EXAM
- (2) Sharpened #2 Pencils
- (2) Pens (blue or black ink – if you are taking a test with an essay section)
- Calculator (if you are taking a test with a math section)
- Click--> COLLEGE BOARD EXAM DAY POLICIES
- Click--> WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT BRING!
Honey-Do / Spring Coyote Cleaning Days...
Saturday, May 26, 2018
8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday, June 9, 2018
8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Do you LOVE to clean? LOVE to fix things? LOVE to inspect facilities and write Honey-Do Lists? LOVE to make improvements to your community, hang out with other families while (neatly) enjoying coffee and bagels?
Please join us for at least one of these Saturday morning get togethers – even if you can only spare an hour. We need a team of people to comb through the facilities cleaning and fixing the easy things and writing up the more difficult things to be conquered later. Bring your favorite cleaning supplies or tool box and join us for coffee and bagels. Let’s make GWCS Sparkle!
Choose from the list or find your own way to contribute. For example:
- Touchup paint
- Inventory and/or organize cabinets and closets
- Make Labels
- Change lightbulbs
- Scrub classroom tables
- Clean windows
- Spot-clean the carpet
- Clean out fridge
- Fix anything you find that’s broken
This is a great community service opportunity for students! Sign up using link below and remember to sign the log at school when you arrive and when you leave so we know how many hours of community service you earned!
ATTENTION ALL GWCS SENIORS...
IMPORTANT GRADUATION DATES:
This list is shrinking quickly! Worried you missed something? Need more details? Refer to full list of important dates and info links by clicking the button above.
- May 17: R.S.V.P DEADLINE - Talley total number of guests and submit graduation fee & R.S.V.P. form by this date!
- May 17: Quilt Giver name due - signup sheet in cafe
- June 11: Graduation Speeches are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 11: Memory Boards are due - turn in to Ms. Mauney
- June 14: Graduation Rehearsal at Masonic Temple
- June 16: Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony & Reception
GWCS GRADUATION COUNTDOWN...
One of the best BENEFITS of being a student at GWCS is that everyone is friends! Prom is a fun evening of dancing - even if you think you can't dance, hanging out and just having fun with your friends. come one, come all!
- Theme: Enchanted Forest
- Date: Friday, June 1, 2018
- Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Location: Historic Blenheim in Fairfax (map)
- Tickets: $30/per person (see Ms. Mauney)
- Who? GWCS Prom is open to all GWCS students - all grades!
- Dress: Semi-formal or as fancy as you'd like!
- Guest Form: Click Here
GOAL ALMOST MET!
Dear GWCS Community -
Thank you once again for your generous contributions to our online auction and fundraising efforts. This school year has flown by, and I can hardly believe our 2018 graduating class will be in their caps and gowns in less than 57 days. I get teary just thinking about it! I'm so proud of our seniors, and of all of our students and faculty.
As you know, anyone who chose to give a direct donation will see their name -- with our thanks -- in our GWCS 2018 Graduation Program (unless you opted to donate anonymously). As we prepare for graduation, we wanted to give everyone another opportunity to donate directly to GWCS. We have five donation levels, and any amount is welcome and appreciated as a way to honor our GWCS students, faculty and school.
Here's the link: http://www.gwcommunityschool.com/support-us/#anchor-donate
The deadline for your name to appear in the graduation program is Memorial Day, May 28th.
Thank you again, as always.
ORDER YOUR 2017-2018 CHRONICLE...
GWCS Yearbook - memories captured throughout the year in one book for you to visit the rest of your life!
$50/each (order by 6/15/18)
$65/each (order after 6/15/18)
Wed., August 15, 2018
Yearbook Signing Party & BBQ
2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
TEACHER APPRECIATION MONTH...
Thank you PAC for the overflowing, scrumdiliumptious take-home dinner you provided us on Wednesday! Where to begin? Thick juicy pork chops and perfectly grilled flank steak, crab cakes, roasted tofu, vegan chili, cheesy broccoli, chicken and rice casserole, homemade mac & cheese, cauliflower puree, fresh broccoli, green beans, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, mixed vegetables, spinach orzo salad, broccoli and bacon salad, and various other green salads. The best part was that the way it was set up, we picked up containers and started building our take-home dinner at the dessert table which was loaded with cookies, banana pudding, cupcakes, chocolate pie, strawberries, oranges and more!
With Love, Appreciation and Happy Tummies,
The GWCS Staff
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
May 20-24: Senior Beach Trip
May 25: OBX - NOVA Theatre Tour
May 28: No School - Memorial Day
May 30: Stream Cleanup
June 1: 2018-2019 Tuition Plan 'A' Payment Due
June 1: GWCS Prom
June 2: SAT & Subject Tests
June 11-15: Final Exams
June 14: Graduation Rehearsal
June 15: Last Day of School - End of Year BBQ
June 16: GWCS Class of 2018 Graduation
- SCHOOL EVENTS ONLINE CALENDAR
- EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING - OBX EVENTS
- SUPPORT US
- SUMMER CAMPS & INFO
- 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR AT-A-GLANCE
- EMAIL & ONEDRIVE LOGIN
- SENIORS - COLLEGE - GRADUATION
- FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS/DONATIONS
- PARENT PORTAL
- PARENTS - COYOTE PAC
- GWCS NEWS BLOG
- MICROSOFT OFFICE 365
- COYOTE WEB (status reports, grades, attendance...)
- STAFF CONTACT INFO
- INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
- FACEBOOK (Friend Request 'Goldie Warden' and we will add you to the exclusive GWCS Current Families Facebook Group)
- TWITTER (follow us @GWCSCoyote)